Cokin ND Grad question

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm lookin to get a few of the Cokin P ND grads but can someone please explain the difference between the following filters.

Gradual Grey G2 (ND8) P121
Gradual Grey G2 Full (ND8) P121F
Gradual Grey G2 Soft (ND8) P121S

I'm guessing it's to do with where the grad starts? I'm going to get the ND2 and ND4 (these don't seem to have the same amount of options), but wanted an ND8 to compliment them.

Hmmm I think it's to do with how "hard" the graduation is. I think Cokin do a "gradual" grad, and a "hard" grad, IYSWIM. Bare in mind though that the "hard" grad won't appear hard, unless you're focussing very closely. HTH

Me and Marcel compared my P121 and his P121s the other day and the soft is a much smoother gradient, but the fade covers more area. Not sure about the full though :| Maybe ist a harder gradient?

Sounds like I'm thinking along the right lines, all I want is a website to show a picture (of decent size) of the filters next to one another, so I can decide. Think I might give the soft a go for the ND8.

Not sure if this will help much but here are the 3 you get in the Cokin ND Grad set -

121series.jpg

121L - 121M - 121S

I use the M the most. The S often looks right when looking through the camera but results are often not as natural looking as when using the M. So I'd suggest not using really dark filters if you want a natural looking result... though you will need them sometimes for really high contrasts.

Cheers for that RobertP, that was what I was looking for.

W.Smith, thanks, but I did see that on the Cokin site, although I don't like the whole 'cartoon' look of their presentation. If I'm going to buy a filter I'd like to see and actual pic (like above) not what they show.

Athough it all might be a bit of a mute point as I was reading about colour cast problems with some of the Cokin P ND's when you stack them. So I might end up going for some of the HiTech filters.

Back