Cokin Pro Z Filters

smr

Name
Joel
Edit My Images
No
Hi all

Just wondering if Cokin Pro Z filters are any good? Neutral? Good optical quality and not prone to scratches etc.

I have Lee 100mm holder and ask because there is as you will know a big difference in price. The cokin ND filter set can be bought for around £60 whereas one Lee ND filter is around £90.

But I would rather have one decent ND filter rather than three which arent very good.

Thanks for any advice. If I do go for the Lee filter which would you recommend? 2 or 3 stop? Mainly want this for seascapes and waterfalls to show some motion whilst retaining some detail too...

Just looking into the Cokin Z series myself and will probably end up getting a set of the ND's and the ND Grads to try as I am going to North Yorkshire in Sept and want to experiment with filters.
If I get on ok I may well invest in a set of Lee's.

2 stop. Better be on the light side rather than heavy side.

If Cokin is cheap why not give it a go.

I settled for sub-£20 KOOD that is pretty much good enough even for me despite a very slight blue cast in the darker section. It just makes skies more dramatic in daytime, but can be easily warmed up in lightroom precisely as you like it when needed. Ghosting and ageing properties are actually better than LEE, and then there is the COST. Both are fragile consumable items to be frank.

I am far from an expert on filters! However, as far as ND filters go, I have found that the darker the filter then the higher quality needed. For a 1 or 2 stop I am not too fussy, go to 3 stops and many of the cheaper ones start to show a bit of a colour cast - I find Cokin OK at this level. 6 Stops or more then get the best you can afford as even the top Lee and Formatt filters will show some colour cast - though MUCH less than the cheapies!

Alternatively if Monochrome is your thing then don't worry too much.

That's a great answer. I use bw screw in ones on my 77mm thread lenses but I recently upgraded to a lens with a huge 82mm thread and bought a 10 stop filter from Novo online It seems pretty good so far.

I use the z series. Good quality, don’t scratch or snap and mine have been bashed around.

Optically not had any issue.

I use the z series. Good quality, don’t scratch or snap and mine have been bashed around.

Optically not had any issue.

You won't on a shorter lens. I've shot through messy windows and worse for some of my customers and they were normally fine.
Just don't stick them on any thing over 50-70mm as that will seriously soften the image

Back