cold ducks

Name
kevin riley
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

took the 70-300 out today to see if I could get used to the AI servo mode...managed to get a couple of decent (I think!) bird shots - also used the opportunity to get some close ups of a couple of ducks

no1
a1.jpg

no2
a2.jpg

no3
a3.jpg

no4
a4.jpg

C&C most welcome, thanks for looking...

No3 is nice with ample space for him to "fly" into. YOu've just missed the focus on the first two (the eye is key). I suspect that you were at an awful slow shutter speed... FAst glass is very expensive but really necessary for birds (well at least to get a decent "hit" rate)

I guess the first ones are showing up the limitations of the 70-300 (4-5.6) I have...as you mention, L glass isn't really an option though! I suppose I could have experimented with Tv mode instead of Av mode - first time out with the camera though over the last couple of days so I've a lot to learn - thanks for the comments though, they should be helpful :clap::woot:

They could all stand some sharpening.
Ive tried sharpening the 2nd shot and scrubs up quite well.
(havent put it up as you dont have your edit box ticked).

feel free to post...thought I had ticked the edit box - is there more than one or have I just missed it completely :thinking:

He! he!
Sorry, I edited my post.
Initially I put my picture edit in, but for some reason my pc is crawling, and so the similes and certain graphics took a while to load (like your edit box).
So as I didnt see the edit tick I quickly removed my edit, re-worded my post ... and THEN your edit box showed ... so I put my edit back in! :bonk:

Number 3 for me, number 4 is very similar, but it#s not quite as sharp as number 3 and for me anyway, a little to much movement in the wings.

Not sure what ISO speed you used with these pics, but try upping it, to say 400 and that should give you a faster shutter speed.

Not sure what ISO speed you used with these pics, but try upping it, to say 400 and that should give you a faster shutter speed.

I had it set to 100 all day...I MUST start to remember that I can actually change it so that shutter speed will increase :bonk: My learning curve at the moment seems like a 1:1 !!

I had it set to 100 all day...I MUST start to remember that I can actually change it so that shutter speed will increase :bonk: My learning curve at the moment seems like a 1:1 !!

Been there done that, you're in good company as I'm pretty sure more members have done this than would like to admit.

Back