Cold sat morning

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
At least i had my trusty flask of milky coffee with me :) Girls u14 football tournament sat 2nd jan 2021

camera.jpg

S'truth, Tony, that could freeze your tackle. All amateur sport suspended here since October and sitting next to the woodburner on Saturday evening wasn't so bad after all.

S'truth, Tony, that could freeze your tackle. All amateur sport suspended here since October and sitting next to the woodburner on Saturday evening wasn't so bad after all.

erk that wouldnt be good for me.. we have had the odd hickup but for the most part amatuer / grass roots has been on since october.. we had around march to oct with nothing then I had it busy in oct and nov then off early dec then back on... got loads of grass roots to photo..... good job as thats now about 70% of my earnings :)

The government are chipping in here based on last year's declared income so the pro's are probably taking a hit but still keeping afloat.

The government are chipping in here based on last year's declared income so the pro's are probably taking a hit but still keeping afloat.

I got 80% of the last 3 yrs average declared income... with no outgoings as such then it did me OK ... I came out of a 5 month lockdown no worse than when we went in.... I find it hard to knock this goverment we have when they saw me through the bad times :?)

Hope you don't mind me asking - I've been doing some voluntary stuff for grassroots over 18s football (when able) the last few months of 2020.

Is your income entirely from print/photo sales?
Direct payments from clubs or anything?
I'm considering the pause might be a good time to assess things for myself, possibly reach out to league organisers, and see if they'd be interested is getting good coverage of the events starting back up. I am DBS cleared because of my employer, but would also look into that anyway...

I know and appreciate that over 18s is a different beast but I have covered u18's (with managers permission in the past) I see a clearer sales/marketing model for the juniors not so much for adult leagues.

Hope you don't mind me asking - .

That what we are all here for.. help each other:)

Is your income entirely from print/photo sales?

A large chunk is web sales from matches.. I also have paid for matches with Accrington Stanley first team. Blackburn Rovers ladies, The lancashire FA and i also charge for games here and there.... I have other revenue streams such as papers and selling stock to football business but they are small and few.. I have a few customers who pay me such as sports tour operators and local schools for sports events...

Obviously during lockdown a lot of the above is on hold..

I'm considering the pause might be a good time to assess things for myself, possibly reach out to league organisers, and see if they'd be interested is getting good coverage of the events starting back up.

What exactly do league organisors get out of it? if your going to approach then there needs to be something in it for them.. same wiht clubs.. otherwise your just a bloke trying to make money out of there kids games... Good coverage doesnt mean much to them? free pictures defeats the object... I get them featured in the local paper so they love me :) You can also try commision basis back to league or club

I am DBS cleared because of my employer, but would also look into that anyway...

Technically legally you dont need it.. your no closer to players than anyone else watching from the sideline.. the FA DBS people wont even check photogrpahers... I have one wiht a local school I work for but nobody has ever asked for my DBS and nobody asked for my CRB previous.. I guess they just trust :). I do have a policy on my website that i notice other people have copied and used http://www.kipax.com/policy

I know and appreciate that over 18s is a different beast but I have covered u18's (with managers permission in the past) I see a clearer sales/marketing model for the juniors not so much for adult leagues.

Junior sport sells better than adult sport.. simple fact :)

Thank you, really appreciate the response - the comment regarding contacting the league was to just highlight who I am to them, my intentions and basically have a point of contact for image submission should they request it in future. Alternatively to get some form of affilation with them, I appreciate you have the UK press pass which is a great way to distinguish yourself if ever challenged, I don't have that, but a document from the league stating yeah - we know about this photographer contact "xxx" if theres any issues. Might be enough should parents ever raise concern.

It seemed an appropriate thing to do but I take on board what you have said.

Regarding what they get out of it, in a similar description to what you do prints/file for use, I made an attempt at it before but unsuccessfully, parents would just screenshot flickr.

Obviously there's a lot more additional detail I'd need to cover, but I'm in the brainstorming phase whether I like it not.

The reason I had been doing over 18's was it was just so much simplier to set up. I do not see it offering anything back to me other than just enjoying shooting sport.
Early stages. Lot to think on.

I appreciate you have the UK press pass which is a great way to distinguish yourself if ever challenged, I don't have that, but a document from the league stating yeah - we know about this photographer contact "xxx" if theres any issues. Might be enough should parents ever raise concern.

Haa right I see where your coming from now...In 15 years i have never been questioned... because.... I always contact both managers before a game.. so both teams know I am coming beforehand.... I almost never turn up to a game unannounced even though I have the backing from the leagues... on occasion when my games is postponed and i need one with little notice i will speak to the managers before the game on site...

Regarding what they get out of it, in a similar description to what you do prints/file for use, I made an attempt at it before but unsuccessfully, parents would just screenshot flickr.

hence my massive ugly watermark.. .. its like that for a reason :)

In fact I would say its a golden rule.. no matter what backing you have... try not to turn up to a junior game without prior notice .. its not good ..

Last edited:
Miss shooting my sons football not been able to do it since last February when covid kicked off hopefully some day soon get back to normal, glad to see you are still shooting

Back