Review cold shoe height extender

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
_DSC6978.JPG

_DSC6992.JPG

What a great bit of kit this is !!! One of the problems I had was the "deadcat" hairs from the microphone which are longer than normal could be seen in the videos . So the cold shoe needed to be higher to avoid this. Most as above are for Sony hotshoes not what I was after and hard to get in the right position so the microphone faced forward. Did so much research you would not believe until I came across this one on Amazon, bit more expensive than otheres for a good reason. Having partially slid onto camcorder cold shoe I could then screw it down so it was square on . It screws onto the threaded top of the plate that fit onto the camcorder , everything else I tried was a fiddle to do. Now adding the microphone was a breeze.

The other alternative I use is this for heavier kit

_DSC6995aaa.jpg

Attachments

• _DSC6995aaa.jpg
    _DSC6995aaa.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Gear accessories are always important to find as they solve problems :)

But can I ask, does the microphone need to sit forward of the lens? If not in the case of the use with the extender....... can't that be attached to the rearward threaded socket and if only limited by the size of that hole & thread, what about using a reducer? That would set the microphone back to avoid the windcheater hairs showing in the footage ?

I've got a Y shaped metal bracket thingy, video light on one side and the mic on the other, cost a few quid off flebay

I've got a Y shaped metal bracket thingy, video light on one side and the mic on the other, cost a few quid off flebay
Saw them. Good idea but not what the type I was after. if I need to use a video light I already have this built in, with variable power outputso no need for what you use.
_xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.jpg

Last edited:
Gear accessories are always important to find as they solve problems :)

But can I ask, does the microphone need to sit forward of the lens? If not in the case of the use with the extender....... can't that be attached to the rearward threaded socket and if only limited by the size of that hole & thread, what about using a reducer? That would set the microphone back to avoid the windcheater hairs showing in the footage ?
Good idea like this you mean? the curled mic cable gets in the way of the switches on either side. I used a threaded stud in the photo above as a demo only. which is why I had eliminated that already. the way I did it also makes quicker to remove to replace with top handle.

_DSC6996.jpg

Last edited:
these are the 3 microphone I use

_DSC7001.JPG

on the left the Azden SMX-30v which can do stereo or directional via a dial so it is easy to switch between. I chose that against the Rhode as it has a detachable connection lead mainly and justs as good sound quality mainly for a tripod but have used hand held. Shown with deadcat over supplied foam

Top right is the Sennheiser mke400 the original one I purchased and only directional but light weight

bottom is the Panasonic stereo VW-VMS10. This I can attach with a side clamp to the camcorder handle if necessary if also using an CN-160 LED light on the top as well.

The long hair deadcat wind mufflers were from Gutmann in Germany best I could find if interested

So any combination for the camcorder or Nikon D810 is a quick setup

I am far from being any sort of expert on using /equipping/ choosing anything to do with camcorders, but with 11 yrs of using them and now on my third camcorder I have a rough idea on what to watch out for. So if I can help in a small way then please ask but don't expect the answer to be hard and fast, its only my opinion

Last edited:
Good idea like this you mean? the curled mic cable gets in the way of the switches on either side. I used a threaded stud in the photo above as a demo only. which is why I had eliminated that already. the way I did it also makes quicker to remove to replace with top handle.

View attachment 380410
Yes, visually that was what I had in mind. As for the curly cable getting in the way.......'under & round' avoiding(?) the switches :thinking:

Yes, visually that was what I had in mind. As for the curly cable getting in the way.......'under & round' avoiding(?) the switches :thinking:

Nice to see someone with a thinking cap on

One side the screen opens out and on the other the handle strap. this is for the sennheiser which I rarely use now apart from on the Nikon

Last edited:
Nice to see someone with a thinking cap on

One side the screen opens out and on the other the handle strap. this is for the sennheiser which I rarely use now apart from on the Nikon
I have (re)noticed that the cable in your original picture #1 is a non curly one ........ surely that can be tamed into position with velcro tapes to keep its run out of the way of the switches?

I have (re)noticed that the cable in your original picture #1 is a non curly one ........ surely that can be tamed into position with velcro tapes to keep its run out of the way of the switches?
That one isn't a problem

What is the cold shoe extender? I’m in the market for a solution to mount a 500g scope above or around a camera which is attached to a long Lens on a gimbal. This looks like it might fit the bill!

HI James

This is what I bought for a couple of reasons mainly to stop microphone "deadcat" hairs showing in photos.. Not only that but because it has a foot plate at the bottom and a top section to accept a microphone. There is nothing stopping adding another on top if extra height is needed.
I could have jerry rigged a 1/4" threaded stud and sleeved it with black plastic tubing, I opted not to do this because of the stud sticking in my camcorder threaded hole would be hell to remove and not a quick solution.

P1051350.JPG

. Why it is more expensive I guess is because of the centre screw design to lock it in the right position which cheaper version don't have. This makes it very easy to mount on the camera shoe facing the right way.

view showing tightning screw looking from the top downwards. Note no retaining stop bar on the top that a camera cold shoe has
P1051351.JPG

on Amazon but not a hot shoe advert error

Fotoconic Triple Cold Shoe Mount Bracket Hot Shoe Adapter for Video Camera Flash Light Microphone​

61r8NQIwaES._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, it’s considerably cheaper than the “small cage” option with added bits and should work nicely. I’m not sure exactly where the tripod mount hole is on the scope yet so not sure how high it’ll need to be or if I have to move it forward first via something like a cage to use it appropriately

pleasure to be of some help. I could have gone for something that fits on the camcorer cold shoe and doesn't stickes out sideways in a V Formation, how ugly that would look. I like to try and keep everything in line on the camcorder even when using bigger heavier gear. all to do with balance.

P1051353.JPG

Last edited:
Back