Cold War Jets

Name
Bernie
Edit My Images
Yes
Back to the days of my youth as an Air Force Brat, with names like Handley Page, English Electric and Blackburn....

7003092198_7b24c3dbf0_o.jpg

7149182305_f2db6468f9_o.jpg

7003443822_d40b2eb9a3_o.jpg

7003437828_8f515d05fe_o.jpg

7149538045_3fe967f878_o.jpg

7003445056_6aa4d3188b_o.jpg

Enjoy

Thought there would be someone else from TP there. Nice shots, was a good day.

Joe

Some good shots. Love the Victor. There's something about the styling of it that just looks mean. It's got the same ugly beauty as the Buccaneer and Phantom have. Would love to have heard the Lightning there as well.

The lightning was, is stunning, and the noise? Out of this world!.... It's a lot of years since I heard and saw one of them! Of all aircraft it's always been my favorite.
The Victor, and that particular Canberra, it's strange how 2 aircraft designed not long after the second world war, could look, even now so futuristic.

Fabulous shots Bernie! Love these old 'planes, very envious!!

What a great set of shots......If I had to pick a favourite it would be No.4 closely followed by No 15 showing the lovely curves of that Bucaneer. Very envious of you being there to see these wonderful aircraft.(y)

Was going to go with a friend (he drives, I don't) but he had car trouble so never made it. It's only about 50 miles away too, so only about an hours drive too. I was at RAF Binbrook when the Lightning made it's final appearance and it gave a short display before landing and the noise it made was amazing.
Great shots, love no.10 and I hope the plane in no.6 wasn't too poorly.

Thanks very much.
The plane in number 6 is actually just starting it's engines. It uses a cartridge, like a shotgun, to get the turbines spinning.
Looks alarming now, but it used to be the only way to get jets going!

OH what a fabulouse set of photographs !!!! the blackburn buccaneer was always one of my favourite aircraft along with the sea vixen and the venom.
Your shots do these wonderful complete justice

Thanks very much.
The plane in number 6 is actually just starting it's engines. It uses a cartridge, like a shotgun, to get the turbines spinning.
Looks alarming now, but it used to be the only way to get jets going!

Wow, I've seen that done for prop and jet planes but never seen it smoke that much. Wasn't sure if the guys next to it had fire extinguishers or not.

Is that one of the original boeings?

like that shot a lot.

I too thought the one in number 6 was on fire, quality start up that, pitty they didn't start up as spectacularly these days... though the passengers may be sweating a little if they did!

^ No thats a Comet. Fabulous shots of fabulous aircraft, most of which I remember actually flying, mmmm I am old.

That's a great set of images. I particularly like the Buccaneers. The blue sky/clouds reflections really add to the image. The sound of the Lightning jets got mentioned. Fabulous aircraft. I was based in a portacabin right next to the take off point on the runway at BAe Warton. Needless to say that when they took off and went vertical the place shook to bits LOL. They were also good for setting off all the car alarms parked on site.

The lightnings noise is certainly something to behold.
I lived at Gutersloh in the 1970's, and we had 2 Squadrons of the beasts. 2 were held on what in Germany was called "Battle Flight", fully armed ready to go in a shed at the end of the runway.
When they scrambled, they meant it, full power down the runway and vertical from 0 to oh my god feet then off towards the then Inter German Boarder to stop the hordes of Russians.
Most of North Germany knew about it when that happened. But also realised they'd be back less than an hour later with ziltch fuel!!!!

^ No thats a Comet. Fabulous shots of fabulous aircraft, most of which I remember actually flying, mmmm I am old.

I seem to remember the Dan Air Comets had an appalling safety record and were always crashing. I also remember walking around Lasham in the late 70s early 80s and most of the fleet was being cut up for disposal. I had my first camera in those days but sadly no images or negative remain.

Just Looked through these fabulous shots again and i haveto say the head on of the victor is stunning....really shows the beautiful shape of this aircraft to perfection....fantastic image

I seem to remember the Dan Air Comets had an appalling safety record and were always crashing. I also remember walking around Lasham in the late 70s early 80s and most of the fleet was being cut up for disposal. I had my first camera in those days but sadly no images or negative remain.

I like to think it was well before it's time it was a revolutionary aircraft, in the late 40's metal fatigue was not fully understood an many lessons were learned and incorporated in later jet airliners. It also has to be said that it was only retired in the 90's and the military version only last year.

I like to think it was well before it's time it was a revolutionary aircraft, in the late 40's metal fatigue was not fully understood an many lessons were learned and incorporated in later jet airliners. It also has to be said that it was only retired in the 90's and the military version only last year.

A fine aircraft indeed, I'm not sure how the comet morphed into the Nimrod but there is a Nimrod at the Yorkshire Air Museam

Superb set.

As others have said, they bring back memories, from my childhood.

The Lightning used to shake the school buildings at Tengah. Nothing else got close and just about all the others were there at one time or another.

That period of 1950-70 certainly produced some rapid progress in jet planes of various guises for military use.

---
As an aside, a set of transports would make a great collection. Say Dakota, C130 Hercules, to C5 Galaxy.

Blank canvas
The Nimrod is only loosely a comet, but its linage is defiantly there. I'm sure if the RAF hadn't lost one in Afghanistan, we'd still have them, although the latest version was probably doomed by greed at BAE.

Keefyp
We got your old Lightnings in Cyprus when 74 Squadron disbanded, and Aktrotri was where I feel in love with them!
Your wish to see a collection of transports from the DC3 though to C5 and beyond occationaly comes to pass at RIAT. Certainly this year it will have your list, except the C5 and go further to the C17 and A400M

Wow, I've seen that done for prop and jet planes but never seen it smoke that much. Wasn't sure if the guys next to it had fire extinguishers or not.

I used to work on the T-17 Electronic Warfare Canberras at RAF Wyton from 89-94. Always used to make the newbies jump when the carts went off. Some jets smoked worse than others. Might have some T-17 shots kicking round that were taken on film. Definitely got the last 4-ship formation on the last day of 360 Sqn and the last 4 landing.

Excellent images, thanks for putting them up.

Back