Colour and Black and white from same photo 1960-70s Why ?

Edit My Images
Yes
I have been going through some of my late fathers photos and have noticed that a number of the photos (slides) seem to be in Colour and black and white, the colour looks a little strange and I was wondering what was going on. I have heard about colorising is this whats happened here or just two prints from the same photo. this would I'd guess be mid to late 60's this one is of my two sisters ,thanks all.
2014-08-20_6%20-%20Copy%202_zpsk9dtzsuu.JPG 2014-08-20_6%20-%20Copy_zpsaxgfbruq.JPG

All I can say is that from the positions of all the people, both would appear to derive from the same frame; that the colour version seems typical of the colour fading I've seen on old slides; and that I have no idea why a black and white slide should have been made from a colour one!

What's the film type (brand/speed any other data) in both cases?

I have no idea of the film used at all unfortunately. I was born 1968 so I would guess at them being 66-67 I know they used boots as the processor quite a lot but thats about it. The photo is of the ramp at Westward Ho North Devon. We spent alot of time there as kids as my dads brother moved from our estate in Wolverhampton to there as property at the time was a 1/4 of the cost ,how things have changed ,i thinks its the other way around now.

Nothing printed on the slide mounts then? I won't ask you to remove the mounts and check the film rebates :D

What size is the film Brad? I know Boots used to do their own brand of film (or labelled that way) and I recall getting a loan of my sister's Instamatic (126?) for a school trip in 1969, but that was straight colour slides.

35mm it could well have been boots branded film but I'm not sure.These were scanned by my sister I have about a 1000+ slides to scan this winter most of these seem a little later as I'm on them 1968 onwards. I can remember as a kid having slide shows on the projector every now and again, they were great. There are also some Kodak film/slides and trueprint in the collection.

If we're viewing scans done by your sister, did she make a black and white version from the colour because the colours were so poor? I was assuming that a black and white slide existed (which would have been a copy - copying slides is quite common) and then the question arises why someone made one at the time of the original. If both are scans from the same physical slide, then your question is one for your sister.

What size is the film Brad? I know Boots used to do their own brand of film (or labelled that way) and I recall getting a loan of my sister's Instamatic (126?) for a school trip in 1969, but that was straight colour slides.

Not sure about the slide film, but Boots 35mm negative film of that era was produced by 3M, though if I remember rightly, the 800asa was I think from BASF instead..

Sounds to be Kodak Ektachrome slide film and producing an acceptable colour print may not have been possible therefore a black and white was an obtained?

2014-08-20_6---Copy_zpsaxgfbruq.jpg

It could well be the case that the colour wasn't good enough, this seems to have been done about 5% of the time and the slides exist in both black and white.

With identical framing and identical imperfections on the copies?

It could well be the case that the colour wasn't good enough, this seems to have been done about 5% of the time and the slides exist in both black and white.

I still am not sure whether you mean that you have got two physical slides identical apart from one being in colour and the other in black and white, or two different scans of the SAME slide, both made by your sister. Certainly the ones you posted are identical in framing and positions of all the parties, so must both have been derived from a single original. The question in my mind is whether the duplicate was created by scanning or by copying the slide. I'll admit that in the latter case, I'll take my hat off to the copier, since the contrast was controlled so well.

If it's two scans, you question can only be answered by the person who did the scans; if two physical slides, then only by the person who made the copy.

All else is pure speculation.

Perhaps a set of monochrome slides was produced for a relative who only had a black and white projector?

Sorry, I'm not being very much use, am I! ;) Still, at least it keeps the thread active! :D

Last edited:
They were made before the Wizard of Oz came out. Everything in the world was in black and white bofore Dorothy landed in Oz. After that, black and white projectors were suddenly able to project colour ;) :D

:D You learn something new everyday on here ;)

Yes VitualAdept it is Westward Ho I have spent loads of time down there as I have relatives there (my dads brother) he moved there the late 60's as house prices were a 1/4 of the ones in Wolverhampton.

Yes VitualAdept it is Westward Ho I have spent loads of time down there as I have relatives there (my dads brother) he moved there the late 60's as house prices were a 1/4 of the ones in Wolverhampton.
How things have changed, it's mostly 'executive apartments' now. I'm still only over in bideford now

Back