Colour Calib and Grey Cards

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Earlier in the week I posted a thread about some colour issues with LR. I have been having a try at getting a preset just right but can't seem to fine tune it exactly right.

Anyway I was wondering if there is a cheapish colour calibration chart out there that might help. Something like this but cheaper. http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/ProductDetails~productID~6561~categoryid~203.html
Alternatively is there anywhere these things can be rented from?
(I know you get what you pay for but I don't have that much cash to blow on one).

Also on a similar subject, does anyone use or recommend a grey card for getting the WB correct?

Andy S

I bought a grey card a year ago and got used to it very quick, has saved quite a few and made it easier. Now I have found the inside of my Lowepro bags are similar grey and work just as good.

Really any neutral mid grey material will do. The Kodak one is a 18% reflectance but that's just a known reference.

The Macbeth chart is overkill for you. Find something that's portable and is a mid grey and use that. You simply want a known reference, that is neutral. Even a bit of grey Gafer tape can be used. Bit sticky though

I bought a grey card a year ago and got used to it very quick, has saved quite a few and made it easier. Now I have found the inside of my Lowepro bags are similar grey and work just as good.
Good idea about the inside of the Lowepro bag. I'll have to give it a try. I might look a bit silly holding my bag up and photographing it though, but..oh well. :LOL:

Good idea about the inside of the Lowepro bag. I'll have to give it a try. I might look a bit silly holding my bag up and photographing it though, but..oh well. :LOL:

take out a divider, what I did - and do with my think tank when I can be bothered to take a custom WB

Fair comments above, but if you really want to do it properly then a Kodak 18% grey card costs £17 I think (pack of two A4, plus a smaller one for your handbag ;) ).

BTW, Lowepro bags are not 18% grey - they're a bit lighter. Not that it matters much, it's neutrality that's important. In which case a sheet of clean white paper is about as neutral as you can get, just under-expose it a bit and you have a perfect grey reference (y)

There is a lot of confusion regarding grey cards, The Kodak grey card is for exposure not colour balance.

If it is colour balance then you need one of these here

There is a lot of confusion regarding grey cards, The Kodak grey card is for exposure not colour balance.

If it is colour balance then you need one of these here

Thats the one I bought, it works very well, but for those times where I am in idiot mode and leave it at home or in the glove box, I just use the inside of my bag, works almost as good and much easier to adjust in ps.

Back