Colour Calibration Devices

Name
Paul Buttle
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Not sure if this is really the right category to discuss this, but can anyone suggest a good colour calibration device or software as when I print anything out it really isn't looking anything like the image I see on the screen.

Same as when I transfer photos from Camera to Computer, the colours seem to be a little off???

Help :thinking:

Cheers

From what I know, Spyder is the calibration device most people use.

After receiving some prints from Photobox that were too dark, I made certain to use the poor-man's version of colour calibration -- that is, I compared their physical calibration print to the one displayed on my monitor. This worked fairly well (I had to use my Macbook for the final appraisal since my LCD is, like most LCDs too bright). You have to be a little bit careful about what the lighting conditions in the room you're viewing are. For example, lots of tungsten lights means a slight change in white balance.

Also, be careful about what colour space you're working in. If you're outputting for web viewing or for print at most commercial printers, you should be working in sRGB. I have also found that using the "Save for Web" option in Photoshop changes the colours slightly -- for physical prints, it's better to use the "Save-As" option.

I use a gretagmacbeth eye-one
works a treat - and has made printing so much closer to on-screen for me
I use a (Dell) laptop and it mada a lot of difference

:agree: use sRGB all the time!

I would second the Eye-1.
I used the spyder a few years ago and was not happy with the results at all. The Eye-1is a little more expensive but I think it's a better device.
I've heard praise too for the Huey Pro. I'm sure some members have one and can vouch for it's effectiveness

I also use an eye-one for screen calibration, and an X-Rite DTP 41UV for print calibration.

The spyders before the version 3 had problems with the quality control of the sensor used in reading the screen output, which caused a more relaxed tolerance in it measurements causing error for quite a few people, this was address with the release of version 3 Spyder.

Excellent, thanks very much... I'll scour the internet tonight and see where the cheapest reputable dealer is that I can get one!

What is with the sRGB? I believe my camera is set to AdobeRGB is this really bad? Should I start a new topic, or can someone point me to a topic where this has already been covered?

Ta :D

OK sRGB Adobe RGB these are all colour spaces. Don't get them mixed up with profiles ( Thats a whole different subject.)

What these colour spaces do is define how software handles colour. It's a bit like a colour chart really. Adobe RGB is a bigger colour space ( or gamut) than sRGB This means that it can handle more saturated colours. Unfortunately unless you've spent a hell of a lot on money on a monitor you can't see them. Most monitors can handle colours in the sRGB gamut, but Adobe RGB tend to be beyond their ability to reproduce the more saturated ones. Don't panic, usually software such as Photoshop has the ability to handle this problem, by adjusting the colour range. It does this in the background so you don't have to worry about it. If in doubt use sRGB

If you get a chance have a look at Martin Evenings book, Photoshop for Photographers, it has a good introduction to colour management, written in plain English.

Hope this helps

John C

definately helps... I will change my colour space over to sRGB and give it a go. I'm sure that I won't be able to see the difference in the pictures myself :)

ditto Huey - but I was happy to see that there was not a whole heap of difference between it and adjusting the display by eye using these rgb blobs
MyBigGamma.gif

Back