Beginner Colour cast from ND filter

Name
Gavin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey, was wondering the best way to go about removing colour cast from an image taken with a 10 stop nd filter. I have a 77mm tiffen ND filter. It has a magenta cast on the image. I shoot raw so can resolve it fairly easily, trouble I seem to have with it is it turns greens in the image to orange/brown. Has anyone had this issue? How did you solve it? Is it my ND filter, how does the Lee 10 stopper perform for colour casting?

Don't know if this will work/help.

Put the filter on the camera and go to live view. Point the camera at a well illuminated white wall. If live view shows any colour cast adjust the custom white balance until, in live view, the wall looks white. Save this custom WB for use with the filter.

I did this when I used welding glass as an ND filter. However, welding glass is very green as so gives a noticeable colour cast in live view. It may be the magenta cast in your filter is so slight visually that you can't see it, but it may be worth a try.

Dave

Thanks Dave, will try this tom. Great idea :)

You'll need to take a custom wb reading every time you use it I'm afraid, because whilst the cast is consistent the light you're shooting with isn't. Pack a sheet of paper (ok) or a proper colour checker (expensive but better)

Put the filter on the camera and go to live view. Point the camera at a well illuminated white wall. If live view shows any colour cast adjust the custom white balance until, in live view, the wall looks white. Save this custom WB for use with the filter.

The Custom White Balance is only valid for the lighting conditions you created it in. You need to white balance every time the lighting conditions change.

Back