Colour Film Developing

Name
Nick (yes there is more than one of us)
Edit My Images
Yes
OK

I can do Black and WHite dev with relative ease so I want to have ago at doing colour but I have a couple of questions:

Is all colour chemistry now sold as kits either for E6 or C41?

These kits do they apply to all films no matter what the make is?

And how do you regulate the temperature is it a case of using a sink with hot and cold water and a thermomter?

Cheers :)

C41 and E6 are standard processes so they apply to all C41/E6 films, regardless of brand or ISO etc.This means that you can soup a roll of Ektar 100 at the same time as Portra 800 :)

How you regulate temperature depends on how much effort and money you want to put into it really. The cheapest way is to use a washing up bowl with a thermometer, and then just add a splash from the kettle when the temperature drops a bit.

If you can do B&W then C41 is a doddle really, if you can regulate the temperature. I've not tried E6 myself but I don't think it's that much harder :) (y)

OK

I can do Black and WHite dev with relative ease so I want to have ago at doing colour but I have a couple of questions:

Is all colour chemistry now sold as kits either for E6 or C41?

I believe you can buy separate bits and bobs but generally they come as kits.

These kits do they apply to all films no matter what the make is?

Yep, same timings and tems apply to all colour films, makes it a doddle really.

And how do you regulate the temperature is it a case of using a sink with hot and cold water and a thermomter?

I use the patented shove it in the washing up bowl and wait till it reaches the correct temperature, just top it up with hot to keep it steady. You really only need the developer to be at 38 degrees precisely the rest is between (I think) 24 and 40 degrees.

Cheers :)

I agree with @Andysnap , the only difference with my method is I use an old baby bath as I find the larger amount of water holds temp better.

Yup, water bath a couple of degrees over the recommended temperature.

I used to do this on my E6 films in the 90's and it worked well.

Few attemps will make you rock!!! give it a go and it should get well with time :)

I started with normal bucket and it worked like a charm :0

Thanks for the link WInchman however I hope that the person who wrote the article was using filters on the camera they had, not sure abotu the colour casts :)

Certainly worth a look though.

I have a batch planned for the weekend, going to keep the film developer can thingy in a bucket with a thermometer, from what people and Youtube tell me its easy.
Have a look at this
https://www.lomography.com/magazine/236651-tutorial-rollei-c41-digibase-color-film-development
My I suggest a dummy run with water and no film to see how you manage with the temps?
Let us know how you get on

Thanks for the link I want to start being able to develop my own film too most of my films are C41 although I plan to put a roll of B&W trough my Trip 35 next

Please do mate.

It won't be tonight though the missus is ill so I'm staying home tonight

Shame really, I was looking forward to seeing the MF Fuji.

I'll sort out the developing stuff from the loft when I remember

I've only started doing colour recently. Basically as above re keeping the temperature constant.

Give it a go - it's very satisfying!

Back