Colour Film in Black and White Chemistry

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
Anybody here do much of this? I've done quite a few and can get some reasonable results that are scanable (is that even a word?) XP2 is an obvious one, it develops brilliantly, scans well and is good enough to make darkroom prints from. What I'm more interested in at the moment is how good can you get proper colour film to work in black and white chemicals as there really is some cheap colour film about such as the kodak 400 stuff in poundland. When I have played with this stuff the best I can get is a really low contrast image you scan, there is no way you could print it in a darkroom. Looking at it it seems to not clear properly so maybe using colour fixer would help? Anybody any thoughts or experience on this?

I get , as you describe , very dense - low contrast negs.

I'd be interested to know if it could be improved upon, although, I've just put 5 rolls in at Tesco for dev only at 99p each , and also bought a C41 kit, so B&W chemicals might not be an issue for me.

The develop side of it seems to work ok.... it does seem to be a fixing issue, wonder if it's worth cranking the temp up to 40 degrees and see what happens. One way to see I guess :)

Back