colour management problem?

Name
Chris Catchpole
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all. I've got a strange problem i feel has something to do with colour management, but i have been unable to fix it for a few weeks...

When using Windows Picture and Fax Viewer to open an image i have recently edited in Photoshop CS3, the image is slightly over-saturated (too vibrant). It only happens with images i've edited recently (within the last 3 weeks). I changed my windows colour settings a few weeks ago in properties> settings >advanced>colour management. It is set to rgb1998. My Photoshop is also set to rbg1998 too so i dont see why there should be a problem. I have tried changing it back to the default but it makes no difference.

But because this problem only occurs on images i have edited recently using Photoshop i assume it has to be photoshop that is the problem? I have used quicktime picture viewer to view images and it opens them with the correct colour settings! But this program is slow and unpracticle to use.

Can anyone please help? :bang:

When you say you changed windows colour settings was this the Vista colour management or the profile associated with your monitor?

this is the colour management associated with my monitor at the properties location i mentioned. i'm running xp, and i'm not sure of any other way of changing my colour profile settings other than that?

thought someone might mention the mac...lol. but no, i'm not editing photos on a 13" micro screen with that mouse pad! nightmare.

is your camera set to adobe 1998, and set PS to euro coated v2, when was the last time you calabarated your monitor

Adobe1998 is a working profile not a device profile and shouldn't be associated with your monitor.

Colour Managed Software (CMS) works as follows:

Image (Working Space) > CMS > Device (Profile)

The CMS translates the colours from the Image working space into the correct colours for the device. You need to have the correct profile for the device in order for CMS to work. In your set up you've basically disabled CMS because you're telling it your monitor uses the same space as the image so no colour changes are needed. This is made worse by programs such as Windows viewer which isn't CMS and won't read the profiles in the image or for your display.

My advice is to set your camera back to sRGB, do the same in Photoshop and find and assign the correct ICC profile for your monitor from the CD that came with it or on the maker's website. A more costly, but better option, would be to buy a Huey or similar hardware calibration device.

thanks pxl8. i'll do all that when i get home and see what happens. i guess this problem is because i've changed the settings for my monitor, but changing them back didnt work. i will do what you said and use the cd software to assign the correct icc profile to the monitor, and then make sure my camera and photoshop are set to sRGB.

i will let you know how i get on.

Thanks.

Hello. Thanks pxl8. all sorted!! my problem was the monitor settings being changed in properties. which was obviously the wrong thing to do!:thinking: silly me.

i changed the photoshop properties too and now when i start the program with an image it gives me the option of what colour profile i want to assign to it! excellent. this is just what i needed.

thanks a lot! (y)

now....lets get editing....

Back