Colour matching, print labs and workflow

Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I've got a few questions about colour workflow and getting good colour accuracy when using print labs.

Previously I have exported images in sRGB from Lightroom as jpgs and send them directly to Photobox or Ashton Photographics to get printed using thestandard consumer options (i.e. standard small print sizes and no 'pro' services)

Now that I'm wanting more colour accuracy I am noticing that the prints feel quite off in the red channel (an approximation in PS would be lightness and saturation reduced by -20 in the red channel). I am aware that different printers/devices have limited gamuts and may not be able to print the full spectrum of colours visible on a computer but as I'm not a printer nor print at home it's all theoretical knowledge for me from here.

I can soft proof in PS using a variety of printer profiles from photobox and elsewhere and they yield the same red issue I describe so I am assuming there is a certain limitation to the colours I am able to get in a print.

My question is firstly am I in the right ballpark here and even if I'm not what is the best workflow (if at all possible) to getting files to printers that will result in great colours. Is it worth getting soft proofing in Lightroom? Do I need to have an 'overcrancked' preset to apply to images to send out to compensate for printers? Or do I have to suck it up and live with not-so-good-colours on £0.16 prints? :)

Any help is appreciated,

John

always remember than prints are reflective and monitors are backlit so they will tend to be brighter in most lighting situations. unless you have good light on a picture then they won't be bright.

It looks as though the softproofing option in Photoshop is showing you what you will get, so that seems to be working OK. You can use this to get the better colour that you want.

To do this open up your file in Photoshop. Now duplicate it. Use the duplicate as a master. Now select the original and softproof using the desired profile. Now using the tools within Photoshop match the original to the duplicate. When you are happy save the original with a new name ( add SP to the end of the file name or similar. ) Now send this new file off to be printed. Now because you have adjusted this file to take into account the discrepancies of the printing process you should get back prints that match your original image.

However as POAH states there will some small variations due to the monitor being transmissive and the print reflective

It looks as though the softproofing option in Photoshop is showing you what you will get, so that seems to be working OK. You can use this to get the better colour that you want.

To do this open up your file in Photoshop. Now duplicate it. Use the duplicate as a master. Now select the original and softproof using the desired profile. Now using the tools within Photoshop match the original to the duplicate. When you are happy save the original with a new name ( add SP to the end of the file name or similar. ) Now send this new file off to be printed. Now because you have adjusted this file to take into account the discrepancies of the printing process you should get back prints that match your original image.

However as POAH states there will some small variations due to the monitor being transmissive and the print reflective

Thanks Chappers,

Thats good and confirms my theory at least. One thing I still have in the back of my mind, is it possible that some printing process cannot produce a reasonable range of colours or are all print labs able to produce good prints given the correct file?

I understand the description you have given to edit with soft proof, fairly straightforward really. However I can't imagine doing that on 100 photos after having processed in Lightroom first. I can see now why people are surprised that Lightroom doesn't offer a soft proof 'mode'. I think Aperture does but lacks in so many other things.

Now I wonder what Lightrooms API is like? :) Could do with setup to soft proof!

Cheers

John

Be aware that many consumer based labs like fotobox, shutterfly, cewe (aldi and some others) will do a computer based auto correct that will apply something akin to photoshops autocorrect (but quite a bit cleverer and much much faster)
That will make it impossible to match.
You also have to remember that whilst you can profile your monitor you can't profile your eyes - so the envirmoent you work it will make big differences. Also, are you looking at the prints with the correct light quality and quantity?
Also remember to work in sRGB as that is the default for virtually every lab - and files supplied in ADOBE98 but printed in sRGB (which the labs use) will result in quite a lot of colour errors - particualry in the reds...

Soft proofing in Lightroom is the biggest improvement that Adobe could offer. I understand it is on the cards, but the implantation is not as easy as one would think. There is a lot of requests for this on most Forums, maybe we'll see in LR4, but I'm not holding my breath.

There is a plug in that will simulate soft proofing for Lightroom. unfortunately there are no controls to make adjustments.

As far as making corrections to multiple images in PS is concerned, make a simple action to do it and do it as a batch command. Bit clunky I know, but I don't know of an alternative method.

And as David has suggested keep to sRGB for most print houses, unless they ask specifically for something different. If you decide to go with a Pro Lab such as Loxleys or Colorworld check with them as they may specify AdobeRGB.

Back