Colour, mono or popped?

Edit My Images
Yes
I posted the mono version of this pic the other day and it was suggested that it was ok but lacked a certain something.

I've done a subtle colour pop and adjusted the contrast and was hoping people could let me know if it's an improvement over the previous version. I realise this is day 1 PP stuff but it's new to me so if anyone has any suggestions on how I could improve it further through Elements then please speak up!

So here's the three versions:

Colour:

5974411539_828eec70e4_z.jpg

B&W:

5965342294_702be9b491_z.jpg

Popped:

5974417997_8f3d1fc935_z.jpg

Thanks for looking.

I like the colour one best, as the colour has been reflected on the wall behind the stove,
It just gives it that warm feel to me..
Also you have the colour of the plaster from the cracks in the white wall..

:)

Cheers guys, I def prefer the popped version myself. Now I know how this popping lark works I'll be using it everywhere!

Thanks again.

Cheers guys, I def prefer the popped version myself. Now I know how this popping lark works I'll be using it everywhere!

Thanks again.

let me know please what popping is..
i still think a dash more contrast would emphasise the textures
cheers
geof

I'll go against the grain here, Number 2 for me. Selective colouring has never been on top of my like-list and in this instance, looks to me like a very washed out colour image.

Ian

The burner looks like a glum face :-| lol number 2 defo for me

let me know please what popping is..
i still think a dash more contrast would emphasise the textures
cheers
geof

As I understand it (and I may be wrong...) colour popping is the same thing as selective colouring and basically just means doing a b&w conversion and then bringing back the colour in a selected part of the image. Something like a bright red phonebox in a b&w street is a normal example. I've done a very subtle version but often it's much more striking. Apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs!

It seems to be one of those things which non-photographers like but a lot of photographers don't.

When I get back to my computer I'll try a more contrasty edit.

Last edited:
As I understand it (and I may be wrong...) colour popping is the same thing as selective colouring and basically just means doing a b&w conversion and then bringing back the colour in a selected part of the image. Something like a bright red phonebox in a b&w street is a normal example. I've done a very subtle version but often it's much more striking. Apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs!

It seems to be one of those things which non-photographers like but a lot of photographers don't.

When I get back to my computer I'll try a more contrasty edit.

cheers
havent tried selective stuff but i usually do a colour then black to white and then merge them..in my ignorance of how to pop

Back