Colour shift in reflections

Name
Darrin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello good people.... I'm trying to understand why I have such a colour shift in the orange bouy on the side of this boat image.
It's been bugging me for some time, and have had a poor attempt to correct the colour without success. Do you think I it matters and detracts from the image?

Thanks2019-09-29_05-36-38.jpeg

Thanks, I've had several people questioning it and saying it's a fake image, but as you say, the refraction etc is at play her, and I think it's a pleasant image.. it will make it's way to a canvas I think..
I'd assume its as its clearly darker as the water doesn't reflect 100% of the light falling on it, hence the rest of the boat it darker too; if the water also absorbs some of the lightwaves differently to others then that'd add to the effect

And no I don't think it detracts

Dave

Thanks, I've had several people questioning it and saying it's a fake image, but as you say, the refraction etc is at play her, and I think it's a pleasant image.. it will make it's way to a canvas I think..

Some folk are idiots

I even had to judge one last year where the reflection was lighter than the subject being reflected !!! People just don't realise sometimes, but mostly they are idiots :D

Dave

I (I'd like to say deliberately!!!) put a reflection shot in a holiday album - upside down. Only noticed a month or 2 later and nobody else had spotted it in the mean time.

The orange object is being reflected from what is a blue surface. Blue will absorb the yellow content which just leaves red so this is exactly what you should expect to see. I might be tempted to remove the yellow content from the original object at least to try it and see if it looks more pleasing.

Dave

I'd assume its as its clearly darker as the water doesn't reflect 100% of the light falling on it, hence the rest of the boat it darker too; if the water also absorbs some of the lightwaves differently to others then that'd add to the effect

And no I don't think it detracts

Dave
:agree:

Maybe there is also some kind of polarising effect caused by the water which is contributing to the colour shift.

Effectively yes, that's what I believe water does by absorbing some light and reflecting the rest :)

Dave
Seems logical.
We use a polarising filter to control reflections of water, so I would expect the water itself to have a polarising element.

Funnily enough I have just been reading a book called "Photographing Weather" which says the following -

"The light reflected from the sea, lakes or pools of water is polarised to a greater or lesser degree, depending on which area of sky is being reflected and the angle at which the rays of light strike the surface. With still water, elimination of reflections will darken it and may even reveal the bottom of shallow pools and puddles."

I'm not sure that is a very good explanation but I suspect we've all seen the latter phenomenon (seeing the lake bed) when using a polariser.

Colour replacement tool in photoshop would fix that in 2 seconds.

I don't think there's anything to 'fix' here. It's an accurate representation of reality and the colour shift makes it more interesting than a fake version would be.

It actually would be more fake if it was exactly same, or worse lighter in the reflection. They were clearly idiots, and just a proof too many people see the world in contours and 12 colour palette like in kindergarten drawings

Back