"Colour Splash"

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Trying this out for the first time, What are your thoughts?

8359385860_c6ba66f4cd_c.jpg

8359452172_8c04788b58_c.jpg

Thanks for looking

You've tried it now. Move on :)

I know not everyone's taste, but from what little I know I think they look good. I did a similar one to the eye shot with my partner and daughter mainly to show how their eye colour was exactly the same.

So yeah I like them both.

I really don't see why people on here hate "Selective Colour" so much, it it just an elitist tog thing as anyone (none togger) i show any of my selective colour shots too love them :shrug:

Persnoally i love the above 2 shots, not too sure about the weird blurred edges on the first one though

I'm undecided on these...
I like the concept and use of the selective colouring in 1 (as mentioned, the blurring looks a bit too artificial).
But to 2, other than a bit of a cliche shot (nothing wrong with that), I think it's actually quite a freaky shot :help: it's more of a stare than a smile (although if that was the intention then it's worked!), but I'm not sold on the composition.

I do though disagree with it being an elitest thing, it's just personal taste... like HDR, I've seen some hideous shots (in my mind) which have had praise in bundles, and I've seen some subtle ones I've liked which have been critisized.
Same in selective colouring.

You asked me my thoughts. Those are my thoughts. Sorry if you don't like my thoughts. You didn't ask for a critique. I think you'd be much better off if you stopped, and instead concentrate on cleverer ways to direct the viewer's attention.

It's been done to death, and blue eyes on a black and white portrait make people, especially kids, look freaky. That child looks like something from Children of The Corn. To make matters worse, you've saturated the colour even more. I'm expecting laser beams to shoot from his eyes any second.

Sorry.. I just think selective colour is very, very tacky.

Occasionally get brides asking for it to be done on their bouquet. Try to convince them that when they look back on it in years to come they'll think it looks very 80's. If they insist then I'll do it but make my reservations clear.

I wouldn't go quite so far as 'tacky' but I fully understand where this comment is coming from. It's certainly true that non-togs can love it. That, surely, doesn't make Pookey's comments elitist? Just toggist :LOL:

For what it's worth, I think SC has to be bang on, and different, to be really appealing. Doing it 'differently' is a real challenge.

Of the two, the first one works better for me. I am not at all keen on the popped eyes in #2.

Pookeyhead said:
You asked me my thoughts. Those are my thoughts. Sorry if you don't like my thoughts. You didn't ask for a critique. I think you'd be much better off if you stopped, and instead concentrate on cleverer ways to direct the viewer's attention.

It's been done to death, and blue eyes on a black and white portrait make people, especially kids, look freaky. That child looks like something from Children of The Corn. To make matters worse, you've saturated the colour even more. I'm expecting laser beams to shoot from his eyes any second.

I would class, "what are your thoughts" as a request for critique, and any reasonble person, I feel, would.

Most things on here have been 'done to death', doesn't mean people should not do them. When was the last time you posted an original photograph?

As for the photographs, I'm , not keen on number 1, mainly because the focus seems to have been added in post. I quite like number 2, the eyes really pop, which is the obvious intention on SC :). I'd like to see both eyes in focus.

Cheers.

Last edited:
James,

when you're learning, it's good to experiment with lots of different techniques :)

You never know when they will be appropriate in a future shot, or to be honest, come back into fashion! ;)

I'm not fan of these images per se, doesn't matter that they're selective colouring, I'm not keen on the composition on both and the blur effect in the first one.

However, Keep experimenting, keep trying different techniques, and don't let anyone put you off - after all, we've heard "don't like SC" and "don't like HDR" so many flippin times - perhaps your critics need to stop repeating things too! :LOL:

You appear to know your stuff but you've a right unfortunate way of interacting with people. That sort of post is neither helpful nor welcome.

We all have bad days. I have followed it up with some more opinion.

Look.. at the end of the day, shoot what makes you happy, but spot colour has been one of those things that's been so done to death that it's like being tied to a chair and being forced to watch the 70s Shake and Vac advert over and over again... at some point you'll snap.

You should experiment with techniques, of course. There is some value in DOING this spot colour technique, as you're learning how to mask things off, and make small area adjustments.. that's a transferable skill that can be applied to a massive range of images.

The results though, no matter how masterfully done, often look very tacky.. especially the blue eye thing. However... if it makes you happy, go ahead, but if you post it up publicly, be prepared for those who spend their lives looking at images professionally, day in, day out, to be less than impressed, as your shake and vac ad may the one that trips the switch.

I apologise unreservedly for the short, and quite probably useless initial reply, but I hope this post is more helpful.

The thing is, that first shot (once I've forced myself to peer past the sledge hammer-like lack of subtlety of the spot colour) is actually a very evocative shot. I'm assuming it has some relevance in football... which I know nothing about, but I'm trying to grasp the story. It simply doesn't need the spot colour. It's just forcing the viewer to concentrate on the rose and almost rendering everything else unimportant. Being picky I;d have shot from a different angle if possible to shift the white window frame out of view, as that's distracting.. but it still intrigues me. Did you place the rose?.. I'd like to think you didn't

The fact is though, it took a moderator shouting at me to look at it again, as I was so sick to death of seeing spot colour that I instantly rejected it.

Sometimes.. when I've spent all day trying to be encouraging to people as part of my job.. often when it's very difficult to be, having the professional and diplomatic duct tape ripped from my mouth when I get home, sometimes makes me act less than professionally in here. This has been well noted many times... I'm probably going to do it again at some point, and I;ll get shouted at again at some point too.

Just accept that I'm very grumpy and opinionated. :)

[edit]

Second shot: I'd crop the top off where there are (what appears to be) strips of hair across his forehead.

Last edited:

Firstly, as somebody already pointed out, I was asking for critique. Maybe I should apologise for simply not being up to your standard of photography, you see I've only been at it on a very part time basis which is probably why I personally haven't "done it to death".

No worries I'm sure I can find a Talk "amateur/tacky" Photography forum that might be better suited for me.

By the way "That Child" who looks like "something from Children of The Corn" is my daughter. Think twice before posting things like that.

Thanks for the other comments, I'm off to read up on how to be a fashionable photographer.

:wave:

By the way "That Child" who looks like "something from Children of The Corn" is my daughter. Think twice before posting things like that.

There's nothing wrong with your daughter... it's your treatment of the photo that makes her look spooky. Think twice before doing it :)

Im not a fan of selective colour however I can see exactly what you have tried to achieve with both of those and I like them.
The first one is very good.

Back