Colour transparency film

Name
Josh
Edit My Images
No
This may be a stupid question but can you do chemical prints with transparency film in the same way as you can with negative film? I've printed colour neg, but I'm doing some LF portraits and I want more vibrant colours. If not does anyone have any suggestions in LF colour film for indoor portraits?

Thanks!

Many years ago there was a company that made photographic paper that could be used with 'positive' transparencies i.e. slides to produce prints.

I believe they were called Cibachrome or similar. Not sure if the paper is still available.

ETA: Have just done a search on the net, and apparently it goes under the name of Ilfochrome now.

It can be done but labs that do it are getting rare now. Negative film would probably be a better choice anyway for portraits.

Steve.

I have an idea that it was always possible, but the Cibrachrome process made it easier. I knew a couple of guys - serious amateurs - who used it years ago. It was mainly for people who preferred to shoot slides, but wanted prints now and again, and was never really meant to compete with colour negative film AFAIK.

Thanks for the replys. I think I'll stick to neg film. Does anyone reccomend any? I've only used Pro 160s in the past, and it seemed a bit dull to me.
Ta.

Thanks for the replys. I think I'll stick to neg film. Does anyone reccomend any? I've only used Pro 160s in the past, and it seemed a bit dull to me.
Ta.

Never tried it personally, but Kodak Ektar 100 has received some excellent reviews.

Unfortunately not available in large format though :(

Steve.

Sorry, my mistake. I've only just noticed the OP was talking about large format and not 35mm. I'd imagine if they did make it, the results would be breathtaking.

Sorry, my mistake. I've only just noticed the OP was talking about large format and not 35mm. I'd imagine if they did make it, the results would be breathtaking.

I think they would be too. I have had good results with 35mm, I have not tried 120 yet.

Kodak originally intended Ektar 100 to be 35mm only. Due to demand, they started to produce it in 120. Whilst it would be nice in 5x4, I don't think there are enough users to get them to produce it in this size.

Most LF users tend to use black and white or transparency anyway.

Steve.

Cibachrome prints were really fantastic quality I have several from large format transparencies, I should think it's probably more difficult to find someone with a 10x8 or 5x4 enlarger nowadays.
There was a kit for cibachrome and relatively easy to do , beware the tempratures must be very accurate.
R type colour prints are direct from transparency maybe try these but ciba is the best .;)

Back