Name
mark
Edit My Images
Yes
were do i start.
right ill try and keep it simple
just calibrated my printer/monitor with colour munki
now at 1st i thought everything was ok, but its not
when i have image open in cs5 all looks ok till i soft proof and then it all looks dull.
if i then change the paper setting to one of the canned epson ones it looks fine but prints not very good. also if i check the gamut warning it shows a lot of greyed out areas
ive tried all sorts of combinations but still getting bad results, although having said that, some images print fairly good, that's if they are bright and punchy to start with, and dont have a lot of shadow areas

First things first, when you soft proof, does the print match the soft proof? If it does then it's working OK. If not then there maybe something up with the profile, and it may be worth repeating the profile again.

The gamut warning is showing you what colours are outside the range of the printer/paper/ink profile so I would expect them to be printed with some adjustement according to the rendering intent.

Ive just opened a test image and applied some Epson paper profiles ( Premium glossy) and with "simulate paper color" ticked it does go dull. But this is what soft proofing is for. It is to show you how the image will look when printed. The idea is to make adjustments to the image so that it looks as you want it to do ( within the papers gamut).

The easiest way to do this is to open your image, and then make a duplicate. ( Image > Duplicate). Now put the two images side by side. Select the original and apply soft proof to it. Using the image controls in Photoshop tweak the image until it matches the copy. Now print. This should give you a good match to the screen compared to the print.

If it's any help, I've found Ilford Galerie paper to show only small differences between original and soft proof. A bit darker and may be slightly lower in contrast, nothing that about 10 points of correction wont fix.

Hope this helps

in soft proofing when i select the profiles i made myself the colours go dull, if i use the canned ones then they dont
now ive created profiles for epson paper, cosco paper, and 2 other types of paper and all go dull in soft proofing.
ive tried the duplicate method and find it difficult to get close
oh and if i select gamut warning its very bad with my own profiles selected but not with the canned ones

Mark

Try printing and see if the final prints match the soft proof display.

Do this for both your custom and "Canned" profiles.

Are you getting a match with the screen ( soft proofed) with any of them.

Also what printer are you using, and are you using manufacturers ink or 3rd party

Last edited:
some are looking close but a few are way off
a batch f rom last weekend at woodvale rally seem to be causing me problems
another problem seems to be out of gamut warnings, seems bad on a lot of pics
another thing is in some areas of shaddow its prints a bit cartoon like.

here is my current workflow
calibrated monitor and printer
in cs5 colour settings are europe prepress 3 and adobe 1998, although ive used photo pro rgb (recommended in a book on cs5)
in print screen rendering intent is percepual and i select the profilesd paper from the printer dropdown

You workflow looks OK. I'd stay away from ProPhoto as a general working colour space. It's a bit big for most every day usage. OK for RAW conversion, but can play hell when it comes to printing. Adobe 1998 should be fine, although most printers will struggle to accommodate this colour space as will many monitors.

The out of gamut warnings are a concern. OK you can get them with saturated colours, such as very blue skies and vibrant reds, bit you shouldn't get them with normal images unless you've really ramped up the saturation.

If you let me have copies of the profiles you've made I can have a look at them in Colorsnyc and see what they look like compared to standard Epson profiles. PM me and I'll let you have my email.

You workflow looks OK. I'd stay away from ProPhoto as a general working colour space. It's a bit big for most every day usage. OK for RAW conversion, but can play hell when it comes to printing. Adobe 1998 should be fine, although most printers will struggle to accommodate this colour space as will many monitors.

The out of gamut warnings are a concern. OK you can get them with saturated colours, such as very blue skies and vibrant reds, bit you shouldn't get them with normal images unless you've really ramped up the saturation.

If you let me have copies of the profiles you've made I can have a look at them in Colorsnyc and see what they look like compared to standard Epson profiles. PM me and I'll let you have my email.

cheers pm sent
just noticed one thing,
the out of gamut is real bad when i use my own profiles but on the canned ones its almost non existent
im now getting fairly reasonable prints , but would like to iron out the little nigles

Back