coloured monochrome help - not the normal stuff

Name
sue
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a problem. I want to make images that you could print with just one ink - for example purple. I'm fine with making a black and white image, but I can't figure how to convert it to being just one hue. I tried doing it with a photo filter but it leaves the blacks as black. For example this image I want to be purely purple, but the foreground silhouette is still black :bang:

monochrome-2007_11_Nov_40D-1955-lowestoft_-_sunrise_course.jpg

I've tried selecting the black areas and changing the colour, but then you get bad haloes. I think there must be a relatively easy way to change the whole image to a different colour from black and white, but I just can't find it.

:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

Try the hue/saturation and click the colourise box. You could also duetone the image, the problem is without any black you'll lose contrast, so you need either black or someting fairly close to it. Wayne

Try the hue/saturation and click the colourise box.

Hue/saturation with colorise just does the same as a photo filter - it colours the light bits in but leaves the blacks as black.

You could also duetone the image... Wayne

That looks like the ticket!

... the problem is without any black you'll lose contrast, so you need either black or someting fairly close to it.

Wanted to try with a colour - in this case a pretty dark purple. And the result from using Wayne's suggested duotone (only choosing one colour) is below...

duotone_as_monotone-2007_11_Nov_40D-1955-lowestoft_-_sunrise_course.jpg

The annoying thing now is I don't think it looks as good :crying: After all that "vision".

Still its another skill to try out on other images...

Maybe just darken the purple right down so that its just got a hint of purple, might give you that look you wanted but without losing all the contrast?

Its certainly something I've tried - but now I can play with the effect I don't think this is the picture it works best on. Getting darker trees makes the sky too dull - brighter sky like the original washes out the tree silhouettes.

Will try posting another pic when found something that works better - just as you suggest with a darker colour so keep the contrast but with the hint of colour I was looking for.

think this one is better suited to the effect as the light blue mixes with white, where black would be too contrasty... what do you think?

monochrome_blue.jpg

Back