Colours different after exporting from lightroom/photoshop

Name
Emma
Edit My Images
No
Hi!

I am having some trouble with the colouring of my images after editing and exporting through both Lightroom and Photoshop. I have an Asus Vivobook laptop with 100% OLED screen, when I have edited to how I want my image to look, I export the image but the overall image quality does not look as bright as I edited it to look. The colours do not seem to pull through after exporting. I have tried everything, and the image is still dull on social media, emailed images, phones, other computers and also when I print the image out. I have tried exporting as jpeg, adobe prophoto, TIF, PNG in photoshop, altering quality settings, saving as jpeg in lightroom then exporting into photoshop and saving as png, SRGB, nothing I do is working. I am spending hours editing a photo, to be disappointed once it has exported and I try to share my work. I have heard about calibrating laptops so colours match but is that a good idea when my laptop image quality is top quality? Can calibration be reversed if this is the issue? Can anybody help me at all please? Thankyou

Hi and welcome to TP

In general......
When folk say my printed image does not match my screen in regard to the print looking to dull/dark the primary reason is that the screen is way too bright!

I can surmise that is in regard to the 'vibrancy' of the colours as you edit them, that the screen contrast is too high and just maybe the screen is set to HDR mode....???

So, yes IMO the starting point is calibrate the screen whether using a calibration device or by eye you should try it. This page and it's tools can aid your doing some basic checks & adjustments http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

HTH

Hi!

I am having some trouble with the colouring of my images after editing and exporting through both Lightroom and Photoshop. I have an Asus Vivobook laptop with 100% OLED screen, when I have edited to how I want my image to look, I export the image but the overall image quality does not look as bright as I edited it to look. The colours do not seem to pull through after exporting. I have tried everything, and the image is still dull on social media, emailed images, phones, other computers and also when I print the image out. I have tried exporting as jpeg, adobe prophoto, TIF, PNG in photoshop, altering quality settings, saving as jpeg in lightroom then exporting into photoshop and saving as png, SRGB, nothing I do is working. I am spending hours editing a photo, to be disappointed once it has exported and I try to share my work. I have heard about calibrating laptops so colours match but is that a good idea when my laptop image quality is top quality? Can calibration be reversed if this is the issue? Can anybody help me at all please? Thankyou
I don't know if this is your issue, but one common cause of this is working in a colour space like Adobe RGB, and then loading the exported image into apps or sites that don't understand colour management, or where the profile is stripped on import - it's always safest to convert to sRGB for internet use. You mention saving as sRGB, but what method did you use? In Photoshop, you'd need to use Edit->Convert to Profile and select sRGB (don't use Edit->Assign Profile in this situation - that's for adding profiles to images that don't have them, but are already in a colour space that matches the profile you are assigning, or fixing profile mismatches if you've previously assigned a profile incorrectly). You may also want to go to Edit->Color Settings and tick the 'Ask When Opening' boxes for 'Missing Profiles' and 'Profile Mismatches'. This can help diagnose some problems with files that aren't displaying correctly elsewhere. Do the images look OK if you export one and then load it back into Photoshop?

Is the exported image dull/dark when viewed on your Asus laptop, or only on other devices? Sounds as if the contrast/brightness of your laptop is too high by default. If this is the case, the underlying file will be dull/dark when viewed on properly calibrated screens, or printed.

I calibrate my laptop screen using a ColorMunki photo - it's reversible but why would I?

Two possible issues, touched on already above. First - screen brightness. What's it set to?

Second - colour space management. Check yr workflow, considering files ex camera > working space & colour handling in LR / PS > conversion when exporting / saving. I can't know for sure, but I'll hazard a guess from what you said that you'd be suited if you aimed for a srgb workflow throughout.

It's up to you to set up your workflow (or different ones for different output purposes) throughout that chain by going into menus / prefs at each stage - it's no good trusting to defaults, you have to get stuck in & take charge. Then once set up, you can let it rip, & it'll do the business. :)

Last edited:
Back