Colours of the Ghiara

NCV

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
No
Until recently Reggio Emilia's (Italy) most interesting monument was off limits for photography. It was also badly lit and the frescoes had darkened with age. The Ghiara is a late Renaissance basilica constructed at the beginning of the seventeenth century, to celebrate a miracle. The recent restoration of the frescoes and the well thought out illumination, now makes it easy to enjoy the artwork, a riot of colour and golden decoration. It is on of Emilia Romagna's most important Renaissance monuments.

The basilica is in the from of a cross sixty metres long, by forty meters wide. In the centre of the cross a cupola rises up. The walls are quite plain in contrast to the ceiling. The height of the ceiling adds to the drama of this building.

Apart from a Guercino, the artwork and frescoes are by minor Emilian artists. The artwork is at a junction between the Renaissance and Baroque, reflecting the directives of the Council of Trent, aimed at contrasting the Protestant reformation. The aim of the dramatic decoration was to amaze and create strong emotions with the viewer, to keep the flock faithful to the Roman Catholic church.

All the pictures in this set were hand held, relying on the superb image stabilization of my Nikon Z7 that gave me almost "noiseless" high definition pictures even at the high ISO I was forced to use. lenswas

DSC_6700.jpg

DSC_6522.jpg

DSC_6689.jpg

DSC_6658.jpg

DSC_6520 3.jpg

DSC_6594.jpg

"lens was ......" ? :)

That is a cracking set of an amazing building. I don't normally like that style of art, but those frescoes are stunning.

Great set, lovely building ;)

Back