Coloursplash

Thanks for the (earlier) explanation, Gary :).

I'm inspired to give this a go, if I can just find a suitable spot :thinking:. It's really difficult where I live, as the land is very flat (like Holland) and I don't have any big open spaces near me either (just tall buildings everywhere :shrug:).

Excuses, excuses :D ....

Thanks for the (earlier) explanation, Gary :).

I'm inspired to give this a go, if I can just find a suitable spot :thinking:. It's really difficult where I live, as the land is very flat (like Holland) and I don't have any big open spaces near me either (just tall buildings everywhere :shrug:).

Excuses, excuses :D ....

A shot I have wanted for ages, but have yet to try....

A sky scraper, looking up it from below, with both edges exiting at the same level. Nice and symmetrical. 15 to 20 minute exposure, at night, with a lot of crazy sky movement :D

Would looke awesome I think.

Gary.

Got to say Gary - I really like the orginal shot...

I have tried so many times this week to achieve this sort of shot and I'm comming up with Sweet FA!

Got to say Gary - I really like the orginal shot...

I have tried so many times this week to achieve this sort of shot and I'm comming up with Sweet FA!

It's easy once you get your first. Gimme a shout before your next outing and we can go over it if you like?

There is a very important checklist you need to tick off! :)

Gary.

Roger that!

Blue skies at the moment - not a cloud in sight so not happening tonight by the looks of things but I will let you know!!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Gary, you're long exposure shots are truly inspirational. The depth and colour of nearly all of your pieces really move me.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Gary, you're long exposure shots are truly inspirational. The depth and colour of nearly all of your pieces really move me.

That means a lot, thanks so much :)

Roger that!

Blue skies at the moment - not a cloud in sight so not happening tonight by the looks of things but I will let you know!!

Overcast or the polar opposute (completely clear sky's) are hard work. Anything in between, you got yourself good conditions :)

Sky was awesome earlier, clouds have cleared tough...might be potential later. Any ideas where to go if it's decent?

I'm now looking ahead to this weekend.

**** all planned and a 2nd hand 18-55mm IS kit lens is turning up :) happy days!

A shot I have wanted for ages, but have yet to try....

A sky scraper, looking up it from below, with both edges exiting at the same level. Nice and symmetrical. 15 to 20 minute exposure, at night, with a lot of crazy sky movement :D

Would looke awesome I think.

Gary.

(y) Especially if there's lot of glass on the buildings to reflect the craziness. I know of just such a building near me, which is kind of "U" shaped so that you could get in between both sides and point the camera up. Trouble is, it's on private property and is guarded at night :(.

So, how's Edinburgh for skyscrapers these days :D?

Thank you for sharing how you got that shot.
Guess what's going to be near the top of my list to try when I get an SLR?

Mental checklist :
As well as a decent location and better camera, I think I probably need to significantly polish up my photography and processing skills before I can get something like that though :D

That photo is simply stunning.
I love the location that you've chosen for the silhouette - the tower really adds an extra bit of interest and sets it off beautifully.
If I'm being totally honest, I think that maybe the purple in the sky is just one colour too far for me personally.
I'd crop the top 1/6th off and leave it where the sky blends into magenta.

Last edited:
Must give this a go... One Q. Other than foot-freezing trial & error - how do you decide on the exposure?

Must give this a go... One Q. Other than foot-freezing trial & error - how do you decide on the exposure?

Trial and error, but it can be calculated.

You can start at say ISO6400, taking an exposure, and then multiply the shutter used for ISO200 for example.

My next thread is much more colourful, but completely different :D Posting shortly!

Gary.

Hmm i remember playing around with colour temps last year, think you might have inspired me to dig the pictures out.They are outrageous though :)

Great work! :clap:
Here an attempt I made a while ago.

3216182073_18e8a267dd_o.jpg

Lets do some more on day. I'd really digg doing it under the castle, by the fountain, its a great viewpoint. just need the right sky.

3216182073_18e8a267dd_o.jpg

Lets do some more on day. I'd really digg doing it under the castle, by the fountain, its a great viewpoint. just need the right sky.

Hey mate :) Good to see another local!

Liking the photo, and good idea re fountain.

Gary.

This is cool stuff chaps! :)

Just think what that shot would be like with some deep blue in the sky (y) It's pretty fab as it is :)

Back