Combi boilers

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
Our combi boiler (Wordeseter Bosch) is nealr 16 years old and sprung a leak last weekend. I turned it off and it didn't leak very badly. A plumber came Monday and fixed it, so I asked for a quote for a new insatal, he said around £2000. So, I now have an email quote from him for £3,300, which I thik is a bit steep considering a new Vaillant would be £1,300 plus one day's work. I am going to ring round tomorrrow, but does anyone else have an idea about this? It is a two bed semi, so we are looking at a 25Kw combi.

ours was around £3500 inc VAT but was a relocated so had to have some added pipework where the old boiler was put in. 2 days for it all.

Shop around - I got 4 quotes for ours and the variance in price was over 300%

16 years is pretty good going for a combi since (IMO) they are basically designed to self destruct in use (see also washer-dryers). Given the price of gas though, the efficiency (real efficiency, not marketing blurb) is critical to the cost of ownership though.

Ours was just over £2k 12months ago but that included a fairly long new gas supply .

Ours was about £3000 about 5 years ago, via the AA (there had a subsidiary doing boilers and similar stuff, now closed down), for the boiler, install, some scaffolding as it was sited upstairs for some brickwork around a changed vent, magnac=vox flush. It has reduced our gas bill by about 30-40% compared to the old boiler.

We paid about 2 grand eight or so years ago for our Worcester Greenstar Compact

Our combi boiler (Wordeseter Bosch) is nealr 16 years old and sprung a leak last weekend. I turned it off and it didn't leak very badly. A plumber came Monday and fixed it, so I asked for a quote for a new insatal, he said around £2000. So, I now have an email quote from him for £3,300, which I thik is a bit steep considering a new Vaillant would be £1,300 plus one day's work. I am going to ring round tomorrrow, but does anyone else have an idea about this? It is a two bed semi, so we are looking at a 25Kw combi.
Do you have a bath in the house? Or a shower that works off the boiler?
If so I'd go for a 30kw as it will have a better hot water flow rate than a 25kw.
The price depends on other things that may be needed such as extended flue, gas pipe upgrade, condensate soakaway or pump, system filter and controls, so it's not just the cost of the boiler plus one day's work.

As above, gas supply pipe from the meter needs to be a minimum of 22mm. I would also look at a heat pump?

Ours was a Worcester Bosch replaced just before Xmas and it cost over £3,000 fitted. It included replacing some of the gas piping and installing 14 radiator valves. It to them a day and a half though much of the time only one was involved. I was satisfied with the way the work was done.

Dave

We got a WB Greenstar 8000 Life 35kW Combi with EASY RF Smart Control installed in March 2022 for £2616 inc VAT.

12 year warranty.

Just had its first annual service at a cost of £129.60 inc VAT.

Very quiet boiler and does what it says on the tin.

Don't forget that if you ever change a boiler you will need a new flue. These are made of solid gold by only one person in the world and the shape of them is unique to every single boiler. It's genuinely surprising that a piece of pipe can cost more than a boiler but there you are.

Don't forget that if you ever change a boiler you will need a new flue. These are made of solid gold by only one person in the world and the shape of them is unique to every single boiler. It's genuinely surprising that a piece of pipe can cost more than a boiler but there you are.

I thought they were made from diamond encrusted Unicorn horn? Ah well, you live and learn.

find yourself a decent plumber that isnt vat registered for starters thats 20% off
just had my old fuse box replaced and that was one of my requirments,

Most decent heating guys will be vat registered because you only need to fit 2 a month to go over the limit. You would only save the vat on the labour side of it anyway. As others have said you should go for at least a 30 kw for decent hot water pressure. Even British Gas do some decent deals occasionally.

Back