Combining multiple raw images.

Name
Connor
Edit My Images
No
I'm sure this is likely a silly question so thanks in advance for those with the patience to read/answer :ty: I'm a bit (lot) rusty with photoshop so i took a bracketed exposure of the sunrise this morning but im forgetting if i should adjust the raw files before combining them or add them as they are and make the adjustments in PS? my instinct is to tweak them and then add them to PS but i thought i'd double check :thinking:

In Photoshop it's File>Automate>Merge
In Lightroom it's select all images, right click, Photomerge, then HDR.

I think the point of merging is that it's a big contrast adjustment. If' you've taken the time to gather all the information from across the dynamic range it's probably best to let the software do the adjusting then fiddle with the output file. Messing with one image will likely cause problems with the merge. Messing with a bunch of them will potentially multiply the errors.

Edit to add - actually, if you have stuff that's moving and it's easy to clone out, I'd probably do that. A person moving through the frame, or a car for example might cause worse problems in the merge.

Last edited:
I do not merge them as raw files, I synchronise the changes that I make in the raw processor, so that they all get exactly the same adjustments.
I then output them as tiffs. which I use to do the merge, or pano. I then make such minor adjustments as needed to the finished image in photoshop.

You don't want to be using any automated HDR software, as generally they are not good.

And with that in mind, you want to be manually blending the areas of the image as needed. So if you need to tweak a particular frame for a particular reason, then do that beforehand, just concentrating on the particular part of the image you need.

In Photoshop it's File>Automate>Merge
In Lightroom it's select all images, right click, Photomerge, then HDR.

They are very different. LR one is neutral and if you keep your processing conservative it looks basically the same as single capture. PS is older and results are truly repugnant.

The caveat is anything that moves becomes a mess in the merged file. Just make sure to keep the middle or whichever exposure and sample from there to fix.

I do not merge them as raw files, I synchronise the changes that I make in the raw processor, so that they all get exactly the same adjustments.

Yes, that also gives great results but depending on the situation the HDR merge is quicker way. Results are essentially identical.

You don't want to be using any automated HDR software, as generally they are not good.

To elaborate further - the ones using TONEMAPPING. Lightroom does not.

Back