Come back later, it'll be fun...

• Thread starter reddeathdrinker
  • Start date
R

reddeathdrinker

Well, my SB-600 was graciously collected from the CityLink depot this evening, and matched up with the radio trigger I got on fleaBay. There's a Range Rover parked across the street I have several over, under, and properly exposed photos of, but I'm still grasping at straws... So I'm off to Mull for the weekend for the rally, going for some off-camera flash shots of the cars on the night stages. I plan to use the flash on manual, dialling up and down the power and zoom setting till I get it right-ish, then I'm sticking with it...

I invite you back for the ritual humiliation and ridicule of seeing what a complete flash n00b and his equipment got up to.

Any last minute tips gratefully received:bonk:

:LOL: good luck, I have worked out how to get my d70s to remotely trigger my sb600, but everything is over exposed and I cant figure out reducing the power whilst its in remote mode....and this is before the remote trigger for a second flash arrives, so if you work it out, let me know! :thinking:

:LOL: good luck, I have worked out how to get my d70s to remotely trigger my sb600, but everything is over exposed and I cant figure out reducing the power whilst its in remote mode....and this is before the remote trigger for a second flash arrives, so if you work it out, let me know! :thinking:

Are you using the onboard to trigger the SB-600?

Well, my SB-600 was graciously collected from the CityLink depot this evening, and matched up with the radio trigger I got on fleaBay. There's a Range Rover parked across the street I have several over, under, and properly exposed photos of, but I'm still grasping at straws... So I'm off to Mull for the weekend for the rally, going for some off-camera flash shots of the cars on the night stages. I plan to use the flash on manual, dialling up and down the power and zoom setting till I get it right-ish, then I'm sticking with it...

I invite you back for the ritual humiliation and ridicule of seeing what a complete flash n00b and his equipment got up to.

Any last minute tips gratefully received:bonk:

Start at around 1/4 to 1/8 power and try a few shots and dial the power up and down from there. A diffuser, such as an omni-bounce helps too...

yes, but even on full power, the subject is barely lit by th eonboard and totally overexposed by the sb600 [both only about 6ft away].... but only tried about 6 shots playing around, collecting the d300 in a few hours time at the airport, then I shall sit down after the weekend and have really good play and fathom it out properly. Not used flash for many years and never off camera, so like reddeathdrinker, I am a complete novice.

Manual is the way to go rather than using CLS :bang:

Stick the SB back on the hotshoe of the D70s and set it to manual and try a few shots until you get the idea of what each different power setting will do.

I'll dig out some links and post them

Some CLS videos from Joe McNally.....

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SvctNKEqarg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SvctNKEqarg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UkP_q6lQPj8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UkP_q6lQPj8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dOa05ePzXJA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dOa05ePzXJA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

and an 8-minute plus "how to" video from someone else :D

I use a d70 with a sigma ef 500 dg super as a wireless and this may apply to the sb600 but you need to put the d70 flash mode into commander ttl in the CSM menu in order for the camera to meter and expose properly using the wireless flash otherwise it fires on full power...as flash in the pan says you can then dial up or down the exposure using the camera....make sure you are using the Commander setting.

I have also read about a way to get around the preflash setting off any slaves using the d70...you put the d70 into FV LOCK in the csm menu..then meter the camera for the shot and press the ae-l af-l button and the d70 preflashes and sets the exposure etc...then when you take the shot there is no preflash and the slaves fire..it works I tried it.

Thanks guys.

I had it set in commander mode, and tried turning the power down via the menu within that, also had the fong diffuser on the flash. It may just be everything was too close to subject, it really was just to check the flash was working on remote. I have it pretty much sussed onboard for now, though I know there is plenty to discover yet.

Off to Stansted for a weekend in Ireland in 45mins, but when I get back will have a look at those vids Flash, many thanks for those :hug:

Start at around 1/4 to 1/8 power and try a few shots and dial the power up and down from there. A diffuser, such as an omni-bounce helps too...

Bought a Sto-fen at the same time:) I'll wait till dark, and have a play with a parked car, see what works. Plan is to have the flash closer to the road where the cars are passing, and me back at a safe distance...

Bought a Sto-fen at the same time:) I'll wait till dark, and have a play with a parked car, see what works. Plan is to have the flash closer to the road where the cars are passing, and me back at a safe distance...

No doubt we'll read all about it in tomorrow's papers :naughty:

Back