Comet C/2022 E3 (ZTF)

JPL

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
Taken a couple of nights ago on Dartmoor. Not visible to the naked eye but through bins. quite obvious. Canon 5d mk4 signs 150 lens 11 images f2.8 1.6 sec. Processed in Sequator. A quick question regarding the best way to stop condensation forming on the lens, any suggestions?

Attachments

• B6CBEF01-8C9E-4710-B80F-FFAE0174EF07.jpeg
    B6CBEF01-8C9E-4710-B80F-FFAE0174EF07.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 32
That's very clear.

I have a 10" Dobsonian telescope and although it is resistant to dew formation due to the mirror being a long way down the tube, there are still times when I have to just give up as the moisture will get down even there eventually. The only real way of condensation prevention is heating. With a telescope you can buy mirror heaters, although the eyepieces can still mist up. With a camera I might suggest a hair dryer applied lightly every few minutes, just enough to keep the condensation off, but of course nowhere near enough to heat up the objective glass.

Thank you both for the pointers. Heating the lens seems to be the way to go, the hand warmers is a more portable suggestion as I was in the middle of nowhere. The problem was the temp at -3c and the 150 mm lens was not too bad as the lens hood is quite long. The 14mm was the problem but it is a small lens and should not be to difficult to warm it.

Taken a couple of nights ago on Dartmoor. Not visible to the naked eye but through bins. quite obvious. Canon 5d mk4 signs 150 lens 11 images f2.8 1.6 sec. Processed in Sequator. A quick question regarding the best way to stop condensation forming on the lens, any suggestions?

Nice image. I don't think this one is going to be as 'good' as Neowise from a photographic POV.

I use a KooWoo lens heater but there are lots of chinese branded ones around on Amazon etc

Hope you don't mind me posting an image on this thread, if so I will move it.

I had a go at the comet last week.

I don't have a tracking mount anymore so this is a stack of 100 images taken using my OM-1 with a 300mm f/4 lens. on a fixed tripod
Exposure was 0.8 secs to avoid stars becoming pill-shaped. and ISO 25600.

Comet_25_1_23_300mm.jpg

Back