Comet NEOWISE 2020

Name
Steve Webb
Edit My Images
Yes
One of my early attempts at long exposure night photography, this is an image of comet NEOWISE taken over the Swale at Oare Marshes near Faversham, Kent. Being an early attempt I made several mistakes, the biggest was not taking the image in RAW, and not checking out the location properly, especially where the comet would be in the sky. The photo was taken looking west, straight towards the light pollution from the Thames Estuary and London, as well as Laysdown Prison on Sheppey. I couldn't even see the the comet with naked eye so it's pretty amazing I managed to capture it in the image, which was in fact the last one of the session as I was about to give up and go home as it was getting rather late. Patients and perseverance aren't me strong points :D

50244513666_8197a32db6_o-2 by Stephen Webb, on Flickr

Ooohm lovely :D

Does it need to be a little more dark than blue?

I don't know, maybe the way you present it here is right.

Either way, great shot and well done :D

that is very good, well done ;)

Very nice lowlight style capture Steve, liking this pic' very much.

Nice work. A bit blue for me (I like skies quite natural toned) but still, nice work :)

Me & my boy managed to capture this on one of the last nights it was going to be visible! There was another guy there shooting & he was trying to point it out to me but I couldn't see it naked eye myself!

I won't post my images in your thread, but they are about a quarter of the way down this album - https://www.flickr.com/photos/ratters445/albums/72157690919165033

Ooohm lovely :D

Does it need to be a little more dark than blue?

I don't know, maybe the way you present it here is right.

Either way, great shot and well done :D
It probably could have been a bit darker blue, however, it was shot in JPEG and had it been any darker there would have been even less detail in the lower part of the photo than there is. Also, if my memory is correct, I think the comet only just showed up in the original image so I needed to try and get as much detail out as possible.
Nice work. A bit blue for me (I like skies quite natural toned) but still, nice work :)

Me & my boy managed to capture this on one of the last nights it was going to be visible! There was another guy there shooting & he was trying to point it out to me but I couldn't see it naked eye myself!

I won't post my images in your thread, but they are about a quarter of the way down this album - https://www.flickr.com/photos/ratters445/albums/72157690919165033

Nice shots :D

I had two goes at the comet, once from Kent and another from Ashdown Forest, and neither time I could see it with the naked eye and both times it was following the afterglow of the setting sun right over bright areas of light pollution, the first London, the second Gatwick Airport :(

Back