Coming soon...the deer rut

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
As autumn is here, the annual deer rut is just weeks away. This image was taken a couple of years ago in Bushy Park (the second largest Royal Park in London). It wasnt an image I really looked at until recently, prefering the more striking single deer images you can find on my Flickr stream. But looking back at these photos I now notice things I didnt see back then. Here I like the pose of the red deer stag protecting his hinds.

This is virtually as shot (tweaked the contrast slightly to bring out the stag more) on a cold morning where an early morning mist was quickly burnt away by the rising run. Light like this doesnt last long, but you can get some fantastic silhouette shots whilst it does.

like the atmosphere and the tension in the animals...all expectant
is this bushy park?

cheers
geoff

Wonderful image. Very moody.

I'm hoping to get to Bushy myself. Just want some decent weather and a bit of time off work :)

Will be heading to Richmond park in October sometime.

Di

Yes Bushy Park. The cull is on at the moment (September and November in Bushy, November and March in Richmond) so early access to the park for sunrise is limited to the weekends, but fingers crossed in October we will get the right weather.

Thanks for your comments

That's a lovely shot

I'll be in the thick of the rut at (Morvern / Mull) in a couple of weeks but perhaps not much time for photography this time around.

Nice capture- I make the trip from Taunton in Somerset to Bushy Park every October, I love it there, well apart from the noisey Ring Necked Parakeets :eek:

Les (y)

Yes Bushy Park. The cull is on at the moment (September and November in Bushy, November and March in Richmond) so early access to the park for sunrise is limited to the weekends, but fingers crossed in October we will get the right weather.

Thanks for your comments

we lived across the road from bushy in hampton and spent hours just walking round...richmond was a monster park which we never really got to see all of it

have you seen the youtube of fenton on his travels...??

[YOUTUBE]bmpONxJ7JSw[/YOUTUBE]

:D fenton!!!!!

Last edited:

Thanks for your comments

Cheers for the heads-up on those points - I didn't know that (y)

Back