Comma Butterfly on Willow

Nice shot and composition.
The one good thing about the UK is the sunny but cooler weather and this helps the Butterflies stay feeding longer on it`s preferred
plant thus giving the Photographer a better opportunity to get a shot.

I really like the way this image works, with the butterfly standing out so clearly by way of both focus and colour compared to the background and the plant. And a narrow, vertical aspect ratio that is very effective for the nice composition within it.

Really nice to spend time contemplating.

Thanks for your thoughts Nick, it's a look and aspect ratio I'm tending to favour when the opportunity presents itself (either with colour/tone transition in the background or subtle OOF elements that hopefully compliment the subject). A few other examples below...

Butterflies panel by Simon Lundbeck, on Flickr

Nice shot and composition.
The one good thing about the UK is the sunny but cooler weather and this helps the Butterflies stay feeding longer on it`s preferred
plant thus giving the Photographer a better opportunity to get a shot.

Thanks Graham, yes plenty of opportunity to get out and try and find the blighters in action! I've been hoping to try and catch one on the Blackthorn we have round and about while they are in bloom, but unfortunately the pretty much constant breeze is dropping the petals before there's much in the way of Butterfly life around

Thanks for your thoughts Nick, it's a look and aspect ratio I'm tending to favour when the opportunity presents itself (either with colour/tone transition in the background or subtle OOF elements that hopefully compliment the subject). A few other examples below...

Butterflies panel by Simon Lundbeck, on Flickr
I think those are all very pleasing examples (especially to my eye #3 and #5), for which that aspect ratio works very well. It is an aspect ratio I use with flowers when the opportunity arises.

Back