Monthly Commjo's 12/12

Name
Umar
Edit My Images
Yes
I've just signed up to this challenge. I'm really looking forward to it - hopefully I will improve my skills, and it will give me a chance to try something new.

I've issued my them to my partner, and when I get mine, I'll get my thinking caps on. :)

Well, here goes.

EMBRACE

First I went for still life.

Then a posed one

I attended a Burns Night Supper, and managed to get these whilst they were dancing to the Ceilidh band

And then, I went with slow shutter speed, and rear sync flash to capture some movement

Andy my favourite, again from the Burns Night Supper

These might be a liberal take on the word "Embrace", but it made me think, and I certainly tried a couple of new things - still life, and slow shutter speeds.

What are your thoughts?

I think you have done the theme really well [and it does sort of show why we really wanted to keep it subject based rather than the more abstract themes such as seen in the 52's]

The still life is interesting, though the blown are to the left a little distracting.

However, my favourites are the dancing shots and in particular the last 2 with some motion blur which really gives a feeling of movement and fun, great stuff (y)

Thanks Yv

The blown highlights on the left, and the reflection on the right does distract, I agree. I might try that again.

I was constantly thinking about the theme, so joining the 12/12 has really worked for me.

I'm looking forward to the February challenge

The still life looks very artificial to me, is just it an HDR image? Shame about the left side but the idea is good and the colours are really vibrant.

My favorite is the third, just love the expressions. A faster lens to isolate them a bit more from everyone else might have been nice but that's not really something you can improve on, just a limitation of kit :)

The still life looks very artificial to me, is just it an HDR image? Shame about the left side but the idea is good and the colours are really vibrant.

My favorite is the third, just love the expressions. A faster lens to isolate them a bit more from everyone else might have been nice but that's not really something you can improve on, just a limitation of kit :)

The still life is pseudo-HDR and heavily processed.

Thanks for feedback re:faster lens - I have a 24-70 f/2.8, but I prefer the 24-120 f/4 VR for the longer reach.

Nice start I quite like the "still life" but not totally sure what the yellow (top right)
number one looking part is?
Seems to detract (or distract even) from the rest if I am honest.

Nice start I quite like the "still life" but not totally sure what the yellow (top right)
number one looking part is?
Seems to detract (or distract even) from the rest if I am honest.

It's the reflection of the room. I'll try again with the sun away, and with a polarising filter. Thanks for your feedback.

^Joe said:
These are fantastic - the still life one does it for me; super sharp and amazing Processing

Thanks Joe. Looking forward to February's challenge - but I don't have my theme yet.

no 1 is top shot for me really like the feel and proccessing on it (y)

and love the expression on the dancers face on the last one looks a good night looking forward to feb's challange

I couldn't do my theme for February, so hoping I can start afresh with a new theme in March.

Back