Beginner Common Abreviations

Kb - Kilobyte. 1/1024 of a Mb. Will be used for smaller files <1Mb on some systems (e.g. Apple's IOS shows small files as KB rather than a fraction of a Mb)
Tb - Terabyte. 1024 Gb. Huge capacity, usually seen in reference to hard disk sizes. e.g 2 x 500Gb drives = 1x 1Tb drive.

[pedant] strictly speaking a small b denotes bits not bytes , so 2mb is 2 mega bits ( there are 8 bits to a byte , so 2 mb is 1/4 of a megabyte) , bytes are denoted by a capital B , so KB, MB, GB etc - this is a common area of confusion when dealing with broadband speeds which are in Mb/sec not MB/sec [/pedant]

Kb - Kilobyte. 1/1024 of a Mb. Will be used for smaller files <1Mb on some systems (e.g. Apple's IOS shows small files as KB rather than a fraction of a Mb)
Tb - Terabyte. 1024 Gb. Huge capacity, usually seen in reference to hard disk sizes. e.g 2 x 500Gb drives = 1x 1Tb drive.

Nope. You should be using B not b, and it's 1000 not 1024 when discussing file size. Memory is 1024 because the building blocks are binary.

[pedant] strictly speaking a small b denotes bits not bytes , so 2mb is 2 mega bits ( there are 8 bits to a byte , so 2 mb is 1/4 of a megabyte) , bytes are denoted by a capital B , so KB, MB, GB etc - this is a common area of confusion when dealing with broadband speeds which are in Mb/sec not MB/sec [/pedant]

If you want to get really pedantic, you could point out that there's an even bigger difference between an m and an M, with m usually meaning milli (1/1000th) and M meaning Mega (1,000,000)...

Can anyone tell me why bulb is "bulb" I understand what the setting is by sometimes I need to understand why, also why F stop is called f stop, is it historical in that it's just an old term?

Bulb refers to the squeezing of a bulb back in the day as a kind of remote cable release that worked on pressure.
Stop presumably refers to the use of actual bits of black card with holes in as 'stops' to reduce the amount of light coming in.

J

Bulb refers to the squeezing of a bulb back in the day as a kind of remote cable release that worked on pressure.
Stop presumably refers to the use of actual bits of black card with holes in as 'stops' to reduce the amount of light coming in.

J

Ah that makes sense, thank you Jimi!

B (for Bulb) is only one long exposure mode, the other common mode is T (for Timed).

In B mode the shutter stays open for as long as the shutter mechanism is active (shutter button held down, bulb squeezed). On digital cameras Bulb generally indicates a mode where the exposure is beyond the inbuilt shutter time parameters and requires external intervention, either holding down the shutter manually or receipt of a shutter operating input from a wired or wireless remote.

In T mode the shutter opens with one activation of the shutter and closes with a second (so you must press the shutter button twice). Some digital cameras now use T mode to indicate a mode where the shutter duration is defined within a menu.

The use of valves on bulb shutter releases, mechanical locks on mechanical shutter releases and electronic remote releases on modern cameras somewhat blurred the distinction in practice. But it may help to explain why it's still referred to as Bulb mode.

B (for Bulb) is only one long exposure mode, the other common mode is T (for Timed).

In B mode the shutter stays open for as long as the shutter mechanism is active (shutter button held down, bulb squeezed). On digital cameras Bulb generally indicates a mode where the exposure is beyond the inbuilt shutter time parameters and requires external intervention, either holding down the shutter manually or receipt of a shutter operating input from a wired or wireless remote.

In T mode the shutter opens with one activation of the shutter and closes with a second (so you must press the shutter button twice). Some digital cameras now use T mode to indicate a mode where the shutter duration is defined within a menu.

The use of valves on bulb shutter releases, mechanical locks on mechanical shutter releases and electronic remote releases on modern cameras somewhat blurred the distinction in practice. But it may help to explain why it's still referred to as Bulb mode.

That's exactly what puzzled me for ages about it as it didn't seem to have anything to do with the setting

a "old school" bulb shutter release...

207px-Bulb_shutter_release.JPG

Last edited:
Here Terry
Kilobyte (KB)Megabyte (MB)Gigabyte (GB) Now finally Terabyte (TB)

Last edited:
Kb = Kilobytes (1000 Kb to 1Mb)
Tb = Terabyte (1000 Gb to 1Tb)

:)

if we want to be pedantic

a) MB is megabyte , Mb is mega bit (as in broadband connection speeds) 8 bits to the byte

b) Memory is base 8 not base 10 so in fact there are 1024 MB to 1GB

If we really want to be pedantic...

Memory is base 2 or binary. Base 8 would be octal. There are 1024MB in a GB though! (2^10=1024)

J

good point well made

I just noticed I made the same point about bits and bytes in #81

Here Terry
Kilobyte (KB)Megabyte (MB)Gigabyte (GB) Now finally Terabyte (TB)
Or even:
  • Byte (B)
  • Kilobyte (KB)
  • Megabyte (MB)
  • Gigabyte (GB)
  • Terabyte (TB)
  • Petabyte (PB)
  • Exabyte (EB)
  • Zettabyte (ZB)
  • Yottabyte (YB)

Or even:
  • Byte (B)
  • Kilobyte (KB)
  • Megabyte (MB)
  • Gigabyte (GB)
  • Terabyte (TB)
  • Petabyte (PB)
  • Exabyte (EB)
  • Zettabyte (ZB)
  • Yottabyte (YB)

Yeah, we could be getting up there soon.
"...I'll just download these shots from my 500MP camera to my PB hard drive...they seem to be quite noisy?!"

J

Kb = Kilobytes (1000 Kb to 1Mb)
Tb = Terabyte (1000 Gb to 1Tb)

:)
Sorry stand corrected, just tried to put it in lay terms (Fail):exit:

Just joined, and having a look around, the list was actually interesting to read, a fewi knew already but most i didnt.

Some common ones still to go:

LR = Lightroom software
ILC = interchangeable lens camera (ils)
BSI = Back Side Illumination (sensor technology) Ooh Matron!
RF = Rangefinder
WLF = Waist Level Finder
MF = Medium Format
TC = Teleconverter
TP = Talk Photography
NFC = Near Field Communication. To connect Wifi
OLED = Organic light-emitting diode
MPEG = Moving Picture Experts Group
CIPA = Camera & Imaging Products Association
PS = Program Shift mode.
PASM = the dial with all the modes.*

* I know they've been done individually, but people refer to the PASM dial.

Last edited:
Then you have:-

APS = APS Advanced Photo System, camera format (Nikon call DX) this is a cropped down sensor (Cropped another term) reduced down from full frame.
These come in APS-C, Classic or APS-H, High Definition or APS-P, panoramic flavours.
BS = Big Stopper, generally a 10 stop or there abouts neutral density filter
CF = Compact Flash (Memory Card)
DNG = Digital Negative. lossless raw image format by Adobe
EV = Exposure Value
FX = Nikon Full Frame
Grad = Graduated neutral density filter
HFD = Hyperfocal Distance
LV = Light Value
Metadata = see also Exif Exchangeable image file format. Its written into a digital photo file that will identify who owns it, copyright and contact information etc etc.
MUP = Nikon version of Mirror Up
OP = Original Poster
SWM = Silent Wave Motor, Low Noise fast focus, lens motor.
sRGB = Standard RGB Colour Space
And then of course....... WYSISWYG this is related to viewfinders and those 3 inch displays on the back of the camera (and probably failing eyesight)
It stands for What You See Is SOMETIMES What You Get in other words you only see what you have got when you get it on a decent screen :)

Reactions: cab
@rizla01 :- Kb is kilobytes and Tb is Terabytes
Kb is kilobits - KB is kilobytes. There is a difference between b and B. There are 8 kilobits in a kilobyte.

When looking at ISP speeds, they always quote in Mb, not MB. Sounds faster :)

ISP speed, that's Mb Mega bits, no MB Mega Bytes. Eights bits to a byte, so not only sounds faster, is actually 8 times slower.

:(

I just read the corrections for k=>K and B=>b
Sadly this is has been made a bit more confusing by the marketing bods who have decided to turn 1024 into 1000.
Therefore when you buy a 16GB you only have around 15.2 GB and once formatted you are down to about 14.8, im sure everyone here is aware of that. but it could answer some of the questions like I have just bought a 16GB card but my camera only shows 14.8GB :)

In TP52s critique when talking about rotating and cropping, the following are used:

LHS ... left hand side
RHS ... right hand side
CW ... clockwise
CCW ... counter clockwise

damn americans it should be ACW anti clockwise

In is kilobyte and Tb is tear byte

In is kilobyte and Tb is tear byte
I just read the corrections for k=>K and B=>b
Sadly this is has been made a bit more confusing by the marketing bods who have decided to turn 1024 into 1000.
Therefore when you buy a 16GB you only have around 15.2 GB and once formatted you are down to about 14.8, im sure everyone here is aware of that. but it could answer some of the questions like I have just bought a 16GB card but my camera only shows 14.8GB :)
Not true. 1024 is used when there's an inherent power of 2, like something made from D type flip flops. 1000 is used for other things like data rates. It's normal in electronic engineering.

Back