Critique Common Goldenring Dragonfly - close up

Name
Bill
Edit My Images
No
I've started to try to get closer, trying to get used to the Nikon 105mm f2.8VR hand held

what annoys me about this shot is the blown highlights on the top yellow band on the thorax …….. bright sunshine day, tried PP to reduce the highlights and shadows, etc., with the consequence that the "bright" yellow has gone "off"

Must figure out how to get rid of it

what do you think

Golden_R_2.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent :)

If I've got some blown highlights I prefer to use the clone stamp (full feathered brush at low opacity) to sort them out. You can replace the colour but also add some of the texture back. You don't want to lose the highlight completely as you will lose the shape.

As mentioned it's not to serious on this shot. Nice one.

Well done getting that close an excellent shot it's always difficult in bright light
I don't know if it would work but I would try two raw conversions and darken the exposure in one and then convert to tiff and blend them using layers in Photoshop

Well done getting that close an excellent shot it's always difficult in bright light
I don't know if it would work but I would try two raw conversions and darken the exposure in one and then convert to tiff and blend them using layers in Photoshop

Thanks Pete - that's getting a little complicated for me

Sorry Bill :)
It may be worth trying just darkening the shot hopefully will bring back the yellow colour
Do you shoot in raw or JPEG ?
Raw does give a little bit more leeway in recovering highlights

Back