Common Snipe

Yep - very good - the D500 does seem to have it's own look, especially the coarseness in the blacks

Yep - very good - the D500 does seem to have it's own look, especially the coarseness in the blacks

Thanks Bill, I may be a bit heavy-handed on the blacks sometimes and I've been wondering of going under on contrast ... need to experiment. :)

Another vote for #3. Excellent shot and well done getting so close. I frequently see snipes, but they are not so curious about photographers round these parts.:banghead:

Wow! Great photos and how you got that close to a snipe I'll never know!! Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Another vote for #3. Excellent shot and well done getting so close. I frequently see snipes, but they are not so curious about photographers round these parts.:banghead:

Thanks John, I normally see them on the opposite side of the lake ... as a speck under the centre AF-point! :D

Wow! Great photos and how you got that close to a snipe I'll never know!! Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for commenting, I was using a D500 with a 500 f4 and TC 1.4 but they were still closer than I've ever had before. :)

Thanks for commenting, I was using a D500 with a 500 f4 and TC 1.4 but they were still closer than I've ever had before. :)

Thanks for sharing, I imagine the D500 pairs very well with the 500 f4. Mine is wasted on the sigma 150-600 c and i feel I should sell my 'everyday' Sony gear and invest in the Nikon gear so the d500 could be used more. It's an awesome camera.

Were you in a hide of any sort?

Thanks for sharing, I imagine the D500 pairs very well with the 500 f4. Mine is wasted on the sigma 150-600 c and i feel I should sell my 'everyday' Sony gear and invest in the Nikon gear so the d500 could be used more. It's an awesome camera.

Were you in a hide of any sort?

The 500 f4 is certainly a great lens.
Yes I was in a hide at the time ... window open, fending off a duck that had got uo on a ledge and seemed to think there was food inside the lens hood! :D

The 500 f4 is certainly a great lens.
Yes I was in a hide at the time ... window open, fending off a duck that had got uo on a ledge and seemed to think there was food inside the lens hood! :D

:) Thanks for the story and great images.

Lovely shots Gramps, I was in one of the hides at Rye Meads the other day and someone counted over thirty of them all too far away to get a shot waited three and a half hours but not one came close,
Jealous to be sure.

:) Thanks for the story and great images.

Fantastic photos, this bird is so timid as well.:)

Lovely shots Gramps, I was in one of the hides at Rye Meads the other day and someone counted over thirty of them all too far away to get a shot waited three and a half hours but not one came close,
Jealous to be sure.

Thanks for commenting :)
@old bloke Bob that is my normal situation, been trying for several years to get one close enough to take a decent photo and yesterday there were about 10 :)

I like the set,all very natural of this beautiful little bird,alas now becoming uncommon. Contgrats

Number 3 is by far the standout shot here Roger, great pose with him marching towards you, not a shot seen very often.

I'd like to see a bit more vegetation below if you have it - the bird is so strong in the shot I think you could afford some more environment, and I tried cloning out the yellow blob above the head, and to me, this improves an already very good shot.

Mike

Number 3 is by far the standout shot here Roger, great pose with him marching towards you, not a shot seen very often.

I'd like to see a bit more vegetation below if you have it - the bird is so strong in the shot I think you could afford some more environment, and I tried cloning out the yellow blob above the head, and to me, this improves an already very good shot.

Mike

Thanks Mike ... there is some more environment in shot (see below) but getting low meant that I was here effectively shooting over/through vegetation.
Trying to get as much light as possible with the TC fitted the DOF was shallow and I didn't think the OOF foreground added anything, if the bird had been a bit further to the left it would have been much better but you know what birds are like! :D

Snipe-full.jpg

Thanks Mike ... there is some more environment in shot (see below) but getting low meant that I was here effectively shooting over/through vegetation.
Trying to get as much light as possible with the TC fitted the DOF was shallow and I didn't think the OOF foreground added anything, if the bird had been a bit further to the left it would have been much better but you know what birds are like! :D

View attachment 74162

I actually prefer the looser framing of this one. There is a natural 'U' shaped curve in the vegetation below the bird which frames him really nice and all the environment works well.

I don't think you needed to be any lower yourself, this is low enough on this occasion.

Optimum for me would probably be about half way between the 2 options.

Mike

Great set Roger especially no 3 face on job plenty detail there sir.
GEORGE.

Is bird photography largely a matter of luck? I visited the Newport RSPB site today and some nearby hides but all the birds were too far away for the camera. Yesterday's spotted crake certainly was very lucky.

This is the thing with wildlife, it's free to do its own thing and go where it wants to go ... every now and then you get to be at the right place at the right time, the rest is frustration or coffee! :)

Morning Roger

you seem to have dropped the blacks a little too much now in #21, and pushed the whites too much ..............which has added a little softness, etc

sorry to be confusing

Morning Roger

you seem to have dropped the blacks a little too much now in #21, and pushed the whites too much ..............which has added a little softness, etc

sorry to be confusing

Yes all trial & error Bill, plus the last is a 350kb upload to the forum rather than being on Flickr so much reduced quality :)

Good morning Bill. :)

Excellent shots of a great bird.

If snipe are in the area getting close to them is not the problem; the problem is knowing you are close to them before they catapult themselves into the air and career off like a rocket :)

You must be well pleased with those, Gramps.

Dave

Excellent shots of a great bird.

If snipe are in the area getting close to them is not the problem; the problem is knowing you are close to them before they catapult themselves into the air and career off like a rocket :)

You must be well pleased with those, Gramps.

Dave

Thanks Dave, yes I have been trying to get some good shots for several years so well pleased ... as soon as someone else arrived, less than quietly, they were off! :)

Back