Community spirit for a fellow member.

Edit My Images
Yes
As we’re sure pretty much everyone who frequents these forums will know, Janice, our never failing source of innuendo and double-entendre, has suffered some pretty rotten luck over the last few weeks, culminating with her taking out her frustration on the sensor of her 30D! (see here). As we have read in her tales of woe, Janice has a wedding photo shoot looming, is struggling to find the funds to get the sensor repaired, and is even considering selling some equipment to pay for it. We can’t let that happen!

I'‘m sure you’d agree that Janice is a member who we all have great affection for, despite the fact she’s taken the p*** out of us all at some point! She’s also a pretty damn good photographer too. She’s given a great deal to the TPF community and we thought it would be really nice to try and help her out of this situation.

So here’s the idea......

According to her thread, Janice has had a quote from Fixation for the sensor repair of £225 + P&P, so let’s say £240 is likely to be the cost of the repair. We have opened a PayPal account janicefund@blueyonder.co.uk into which donations can be made. Once (and assuming) we have raised the necessary funds, Janice can send her 30D and remaining bits of sensor off for repair and, on completion, we will pay the bill out of the “Janicefund”.

Any surplus funds remaining will be used as a prize fund in Jessops gift vouchers for a Photo Competition, titled “Sensor-tive”. We’d like to suggest Janice be the judge of the competition and, of course, the originators of this thread would be excluded from taking part.

We’re not trying to set a precedent here. This is just a genuine gesture to try and help a friend and fellow forum member out of a situation that she has made light of but we all know has hurt her terribly.

Just to pre-empt a few possible concerns; this thread is the idea of some regular forum members who wish to remain anonymous. Between us we have thousands of posts (Over 5000). Whilst we asked for the ok from the admins to post this thread, it is an independent idea. The admins have access to the PayPal account to ensure security. We will update the thread regularly with a fund progress.

We hope this idea is met with the good intent it is intended.

Just like to say that the members concerned did check with us first, to make sure it was OK to post. I can vouch that they are long standing members, and I believe their intentions are completely honourable.

They'll pass details to me to post updates here on occasion. :)

Any genuine questions about this, please feel free to use the Contact Us link at the bottom to contact the Admins. Any questions about Janice and her Sensors2go operation and how to bugger a sensor up, please direct them to the thread in the link above ;)

Just had this update in :

Just to keep everyone informed, we have raised £100 already :woot: A big thank you to everyone who had donated so far :clap: There's still a little way to go so come on guys and girls, we need Janice posting pics again without scratched through the middle :LOL:

A little update....

It seems the target has been reached!

They need to finalise details and what not, so expect an other update shortly!

Just got this in :

WOW! We did it in 3 days! Fantastic! :clap: The target for getting Janice's sensor fixed has been reached and it looks like we will have a little left over for a mini competition as well (y) A few people are sending a cheque and we're aware of a couple of people who want to donate but can't get access to a computer until the weekend so we won't know the accurate final total until early next week.

What we'd like to do is to wait for Fixation to actually see Janice's camera and confirm the final quote in writing. Hopefully that will be by the middle of next week. Once that figure is known then we'll update again with the exact amount that we can run as the prize for the mini comp. :D

We'd like the thank everyone for supporting this idea in the spirit it was intended. I know Janice is quite over come by the support everyone has shown :)

Thanks once again (y)

Still waiting on a couple of cheques in the post. Once they're in we will confirm the total amount raised and what happens now

Update :

Janice received a voicemail from fixation today - bad news.

They are unable to replace the sensor filter and have to replace the entire sensor at £313+VAT which works out at just under £368

Not to worry though, we had a grand total of £343 and we've banded together and all decided to put another tenner in each with the help
of another long standing member. So we can meet the target and the sensor can be repaired. Unfortunately this means we won't have enough
for a prize fund for a competition but we're sure everyone would sooner see Janice's camera fixed as the priority.

As soon as we have a copy of the invoice, we'll scan it and upload it so you can see the work was carried out.

Thank you very much everyone for your generosity and we hope to have Janice on the up soon.

Update:

Janice now has her camera back from Fixation, all shiny and good as new. As you can see from the invoice, they didn't just replace the sensor, they gave it a bit of a clean too. With any luck this might mean we have a bit longer before she attempts to clean her sensor again ;)

As you can see from the invoice, the cost of repair was £313.72 - this is plus £10 delivery plus VAT, which means the total repair cost was £380.37

We had a total in the bank account raised after paypal fees of £390.29

Thank you very much to everyone that donated, we all made a difference to one special lady and I know that those of you who have not asked to remain anonymouse will be recieving a personal thanks from Janice (once I pass on your email addresses).

Once again we've proved that this forum consists of lots of friendly, helpful people who are willing to help a friend in need.

Give yourselves a pat on the back.

Of course this means that we have a prize fund of £9.92.

I wonder if we can put it towards a TP op/tech strap and give that away in a competition. Could be worth a think. Well done everyone, and thanks for proving us right, I knew we'd do it.

invoice.jpg

well done everyone.

We will indeed run a comp for a little prize pack, a strap, a beanie and a lenspen.

Back