Compact £100-150

Edit My Images
No
Hi all, my Dad has decided he would like a digital camera for his birthday.

Ideally it could do with a nice big LCD screen as his eyes are not great, it needs to be simple to use, fairly small (pocket size).

Whats the best camera in that budget? I'm really out of touch with point and shoots!

Any help, is appreciated

I bought my daughter a Fuji f40fd for her birthday. Not certain now but I think I read a review that said it produced better images with less noise than the f50. She's pleased with it anyway.

3x optical seems to be the limit without image stabiliser. So more optical zoom pushes the cost way up.

problem with compact camera reccomendations is there are so many models out there you can't get a comparison easily - just reports of what is OK for one person.

I read reviews too and opted for the Fuji F30 which was apparently better than the F50fd too!
It has aperture and shutter priority if you want to go all creative and as FD only means face detection... that wasnt something I needed... Id rather the more manual operation.

Janice, is the F30 just good at lowlight shots, or is it really that good overall, the reason i ask is because the reviews seem to rave about how good it is in lowlight but i've never read about how good it is in normal situations, also does it have an image stabilizer built on board ?

I have a friend who has a fuji and they are very good, are they nice and simple to use? I'm not fussed about loads of advanced features. It needs to be compact, simple to use.

Any other suggestions for me to have a look at?

Ixus 75 has a 3" screen and gives excellent results.
Several friends have them and my g/f uses a Ixus 65 they are alll very happy with them

I tried the Fuji f50 and z10 out in a shop and thought the images were soft even for a compact. In the end I bought a panasonic ls3 I think it's called and I'm quite impressed with it. Very easy to use.

Janice, is the F30 just good at lowlight shots, or is it really that good overall, the reason i ask is because the reviews seem to rave about how good it is in lowlight but i've never read about how good it is in normal situations, also does it have an image stabilizer built on board ?

daylight shots are great and sharp tel.

Im very picky and this is the one I came down to in the end.

crane10.jpg

crane23.jpg

These were on full auto... just quick snaps as a bridge was lowered into place. Its VERY good on noise..... or lack of!! :D

I'd recommend the Canon Ixus 75. Nice big screen and easy to use.

I'm still using my old Ixus 40:

Even though I am a canon dslr owner... after much research.... the canon compacts noise control against the fuji noise control was not a patch.

i have to add that my shots above have not been sharpened... they are straight from camera.

Here's a link Tel, if you want to find out more http://www.cameras.co.uk/camera-reviews/fuji-finepix-f30.cfm

What a lovely photo! (y)

now just have it made into a jigsaw puzzle and you are quids in! :D

:LOL: janice, you should see the rest of the village, possibly not all as pretty as that one house but it did win quite a few Dalesman awards.

I have the Fuji f20 its a good little camera Currys doing them £80 refurb but when I bought mine it was that price new. Canon Ixus 75 from Currys £130 new nice big 3" LCD the fuji is 2.5" both 3X zoom the Canon will give good results in day time the fuji in poor light or at night.

Hope this helps.

Back