Compact alternatives

Edit My Images
Yes
At the moment my everyday setup consists in my Canon 70D and the 24 - 105mm f/4.0.

Whilst I love the camera and the lens, I'm finding I hardly ever use it because I quite simply cannot be bothered to lug about the camera everywhere I go.

It too heavy to comfortably stick on my Peak Design clip, and it takes up far too much room in my rucksack (mainly used to carry medications etc)

Are there any more compact alternatives that people could recommend? I'm not talking going down to point and click size like the rx100's, but something which still gives me the flexibility of lenses etc without the bulk. Something the size of the Sony a6500 would be a nice middle.

The reason I upgraded to the 70D was for videos, so good quality video, as well as photos are a must. If I can help it, I'd like to not spend too much money on an upgrade/side-step.

Fuji x-t2. I've moved from a Nikon D810 (full frame 36mp) and lots of nice glass to a fuji x-t2 with (admittedly) lots of nice glass.
Have a look, I'd recommend an extended test drive as the controls take a little bit of getting used to as do the focus modes but is easy that I'd rather shoot the x-t2 professionally now than the d810. I'm a convert!

You can make it really small with something like a 27mm prime pancake or beef it out with f/1.4 or even f/1.2 glass and f/2.8 zooms. I'll add some pics if I can find some of my small and beefy setup.
0ebf8fec60336953d397c1509c8ebfd1.jpg
efcfee6bc97bc6fcd1efce4a8e789b74.jpg

Last edited:
Something the size of the Sony a6500 would be a nice middle.
Sony a6300 and 16-70mm f4 is a good combination and reasonably compact. The a6500 doesn't really add enough to justify the extra cost for 'normal' use.
That's the answer then :D

If you like the zoom range of your current lens maintaining it is always going to add to the weight and bulk as opposed to getting a small body and a compact prime so the biggest savings would come from a smaller sensor system... There's the Panasonic GX80 plus a zoom to match the range of your 24-105mm.

You could also consider a 1" sensor camera as you could get something that is truly coat pocketable with a good zoom range and quite good handling which would still get you good image quality.

That's the answer then :D

If you like the zoom range of your current lens maintaining it is always going to add to the weight and bulk as opposed to getting a small body and a compact prime so the biggest savings would come from a smaller sensor system... There's the Panasonic GX80 plus a zoom to match the range of your 24-105mm.

You could also consider a 1" sensor camera as you could get something that is truly coat pocketable with a good zoom range and quite good handling which would still get you good image quality.
Something like the Sony RX100 III :D

Something like the Sony RX100 III :D

My only experience of 1" cameras is the Panasonic TZ100 I have. There's a little thread here...

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/panasonic-tz100.653653/

I can't say that the pictures can compare with those taken with my larger sensor Panasonic or Sony cameras when pixel peeping but they're certainly a big step up from any truly compact camera I've used before. What got me interested was reading on several blogs that these 1" sensor cameras as good enough... and I think they are :D

Thanks all. The Sony A6000/6300 do seem to be the best size.

Are they a worthy competitor for a 70D on mirrorless vs mirrored?

X-T2 and 18-135. Does pretty much everything as well as any crop DSLR in a compact package. Not cheap (and neither are the native lenses) but very few good things are!

Thanks all. The Sony A6000/6300 do seem to be the best size.

Are they a worthy competitor for a 70D on mirrorless vs mirrored?

AFAIK Canon are still a bit behind in sensors and Sony are amongst the best so the actual image quality might be better with the Sony. There'll be differences other than image quality though and hopefully things such as exposure and dof preview will be a nice surprise for you as might be the in view histogram and focusing aids.

Back