Compact Binoculars?

Nod

Tootles
Name
Nod (UK)
Edit My Images
Yes
In short, I'm after a pair of reasonable bins to keep in the car. 8x would be plenty of magnification for my needs but I wouldn't ignore recommendations for 10x. Under £75 would be nice but can stretch to a ton if I need to. Roof prism is what I think I want but can be persuaded otherwise!

Have a look here,

Celestron Binoculars - London Camera Exchange

I bought the 10x42 earkier this year and for the money, I have no complaints at all, they have been a game changer for me. My buddy has the 10x50.

The 10x42s are out of stock just now but I'm sure you'll find something there to suit your needs.

I love LCE, so much so that I've switched to them from another well known dealer. (y)

Reactions: Nod
Thanks for the replies. Looks like a trip into LCE is on the cards to have a fondle and check out the fit and feel. Eye drops have "blessed" me with fairly long eyelashes so I do need a decent amount of relief - something that only a test fitting can show me if there's enough!

We've bought our last couple of pairs at In Focus shops (the one at WWT Barnes). When I was looking for a new pair, they gave me a few pairs to have a wander around with. I ended up with a pair of Opticrons, but the Mrs has a set of Delta's and they're brighter than mine.

I fancy a set of image stabalised ones, but they're rather pricey.

What do you want to use the binos for?

Just casual use rather than sitting staring through them for hours. Looking out to sea more than birds, although there'll be a little peering at feathered friends thrown in! They'll get taken on holiday as well, where there'll possibly be a bit more bird use but it'll be a fair bit brighter too.

Just casual use rather than sitting staring through them for hours. Looking out to sea more than birds, although there'll be a little peering at feathered friends thrown in! They'll get taken on holiday as well, where there'll possibly be a bit more bird use but it'll be a fair bit brighter too.

OK, a couple of things you might want to take into consideration:

Higher magnification and compact binos don't go together very well. I wouldn't go any higher than x8, and less is generally better, in compacts. The problems are light transmission, and lack of weight which makes them easier to carry but more difficult to hold steady.

Light transmission is a bit more technical. Divide the diameter of the objective (front) lens in mm by the magnification and round it off to calculate the exit pupil. eg 7 x 50 = 7 but 10 x 50 = 5 and 8 x 30 = 4 etc. Our pupils open to about 7mm in low light - this often deteriorates with age - so 'night glasses' are usually 7 x 50 or 8 x 56 to take maximum advantage of this. The drawback is size and weight. 8 x 30 is popular and fine for most day time use, but isn't so great as the light fails.

The quality of the lenses does come into it too. I have a pair of Leica 10 x 25 which are very, very good for their modest exit pupil. The penalty here is price! I bought mine years ago when my wife wasn't looking ... ;)

I'd just take my time, decide on your priorities and choose the pair that suit you best. FWIW 8 x 30 or 8 x 40 (better) is a pretty good compromise for general purpose use.

That's why I said 8x in my OP. 10x will be useable on holiday (Crete) but possibly a bit dark here. Compactness and weight (less so than size) are as important for this par as ultimate light gathering and (to some extent) "image" quality. Much as I'd love a pair of superexpensive bins, I can't justify them to myself, let alone Mrs Nod!

8x32 are a very popular size of binocular, I see many in use around the wildlife reserves that I visit. My wife has an 8x30 (a bit of an odd size) which she uses all the time, leaving her 8x42 in the cupboard, mainly due to their weight and bulk. For my use, a steady, bright 7x or 8x is preferable to my 10x for active use(walking etc), but the 10x are great for when I am not moving/standing, as in a hide or just seated.
As we get older, our ability to hold binoculars/cameras steady seems to diminish, the lower the magnification, the steadier the view will be.

Edit: I also found that I like to use the bins to look at bugs/butterflies/bees etc from sometimes short distances. The lower mag bins are always better for this, but some can have a rather long minimum focus distance (something to check for when buying).

Last edited:
Nod Shaz suffer's a bit , not with her eyes long range she out does folks with binos as a spotter..but the arthritis an all makes her life hard. a camera is too much , that hurts bud

...I got her some hawke endurence 8X42 maybe a couple of years back..........I don't get to touch 'em ...so they might be worth investigating....the lass will share lot, but rarely her binos..that means sommit (y) :cool:

This is worth a read....

No love for monoculars for compactness etc I see. Apart from several pairs of binoculars I have had for the past 50 years or so a one of those semi-folding x5 Russian (USSR) monoculars that I think must have been my most used. Advantages for me are 1, fold flat in pocket & light weight 2, one handed use inc focussing 3. I can use both eyes while using them (years with monocular microscopes). YMMV.

I don’t have experience of other monoculars and obviously binoculars are best for non-casual use.

No love for monoculars for compactness etc I see. Apart from several pairs of binoculars I have had for the past 50 years or so a one of those semi-folding x5 Russian (USSR) monoculars that I think must have been my most used. Advantages for me are 1, fold flat in pocket & light weight 2, one handed use inc focussing 3. I can use both eyes while using them (years with monocular microscopes). YMMV.

I don’t have experience of other monoculars and obviously binoculars are best for non-casual use.
I have thought about getting a monocular....

I have a pair of Celestron Skymaster 9 x 63 and I can tell you these things are out of this world, especially for sky-viewing. What I can also tell you is that these are not compact binoculars but if you can cope with the size you will not regret buying them. They are over the hundred quid mark by some amount but well worth it.

Many compact binoculars have small object lenses and in anything other than bright light they are practically useless; want to see some birds on your bird feeders at dusk? You can't, they are just too dim. I have a pair of Nikon bins but even they are pretty crap in low light; they do fit in my pocket though which the Celestrons definitely do not.

I do have a pair of Celestron 25 x 100's that I don't use so if you have a spare wheelbarrow to carry them in I'll sell them to you.

Last edited:
I can second Hawke as being a good brand, and some of the compacts are even affordable........... I've recently acquired one of the Endurrance ED monoculars as a replacement for the compact bins I throw in my rucksack out walking. Most of the bins, however, are a bit pricey and probably a bit more serious than Nod wants.
Opticron are well worth a good look. I have a pair of their 12 x 50s for bird watching etc and they're very good (they don't do the 12 x 50 in that particular range any more). The Adventurer range would probably fit Nod's brief.
As with everything, the best binoculars in the world are the ones you're going to use, not the super duper pair you've left at home because you cba to drag them along with you.

Thanks to all for the recommendations. I shall be taking a trip to town at some point to visit LCE and have a play with what fits my wants/needs list, although I will also have a look at the alternatives available on line (especially through Amazon for the easy returns if necessary).

I have thought about getting a monocular....
I have an eyepiece that SLR lenses mount on. If you've got your camera with you anyway it can be a particularly good solution. IIRC mine give 5x magnification & a good bright image with a normal 50mm lens, and are still quite usable with a 600mm mounted.
It is somewhat bulkier than my monocular, or pocket binoculars but the options I have for those are too feeble to be much use.

The Olympus Tracker PC I range used to be excellent value - in this price range, a reverse porro may beat a roof prism model. I went binocular shopping with a friend some years ago and was really impressed with these even in comparison with my much more expensive pocket Leica roof prisms (though the Olympus won't win any beauty contests). Someone on Birdforum (which is an excellent place for binocular reviews even for non-birders) had a similar experience:
Sadly the 8x25 seem to be discontinued, but you can still get the 10x25 from Microglobe:

Nod, some cracking suggestions re compact bino’s but as you rightly say it’s best to get your own Mk1 eyeballs to a pair to check whether they are suitable. But, as you mention Amazon and their excellent returns policy, may I suggest these rather special bino’s which I bought after using a friends pairs on a photo walk:

Amazon have them for around the £100 mark or £90 as new in the Warehouse but it is always worth a shop around. I have some lovely bino’s, GPO, Hawke Frontier and Steiners but for sheer portability and lightness the little Pentax’s take a bit of beating.

Last edited:
Nod, some cracking suggestions re compact bino’s but as you rightly say it’s best to get your own Mk1 eyeballs to a pair to check whether they are suitable. But, as you mention Amazon and their excellent returns policy, may I suggest these rather special bino’s which I bought after using a friends pairs on a photo walk:

Amazon have them for around the £100 mark or £90 as new in the Warehouse but it is always worth a shop around. I have some lovely bino’s, GPO, Hawke Frontier and Steiners but for sheer portability and lightness the little Pentax’s take a bit of beating.
Those look really interesting. The “non close focus” of most binoculars is frustrating. I’ll probably sound like a stuck record but it’s easier to find close focus monoculars for obvious reasons.

Thanks for the suggestion of the Pentax bins but they're a bit bulkier than I was hoping for. If the local LCE has them (or similar) in stock, I'll certainly give them a try.

As for monoculars, I have a couple of small ones and can't get on with them for some reason. I do like the larger one I have though and it sits atop a monopod, ready for use. Again, a bit bulky for my intended use of the compact bins.

Went down with an open(ish!) mind and a short(ish!)list and had a look at what they had in stock. Came down to a couple of choices from Hawke - either 2 hinged (slightly more compact and marginally better weather protection) or centre hinged. Ended up with the slightly cheaper (optically, I couldn't tell them apart) centre hinged ones - https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/New/hawke-naturetrek-8x25-binocular-green_71304.html .

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions as to features I hadn't really considered (such as close focus distance - 2m in these.)

Went down with an open(ish!) mind and a short(ish!)list and had a look at what they had in stock. Came down to a couple of choices from Hawke - either 2 hinged (slightly more compact and marginally better weather protection) or centre hinged. Ended up with the slightly cheaper (optically, I couldn't tell them apart) centre hinged ones - https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/New/hawke-naturetrek-8x25-binocular-green_71304.html .

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions as to features I hadn't really considered (such as close focus distance - 2m in these.)

By all accounts, Hawke are very good, I used to use their telescopic sights and they were excellent.

Enjoy your bins and let us know how you get on. (y)

Excellent choice! Hawke's warranty is amazing, I dropped a pair of Frontier EDX bino's which looked completely FUBAR to me but a quick phone call to Hawke advised me to send them in for examination. Received a brand new pair by return post. More than impressed.

Wow! I'd expect a replacement pair if they just fell to pieces but if it was my fault, not so much!

Wow! I'd expect a replacement pair if they just fell to pieces but if it was my fault, not so much!
Totally my fault and declared as such! They fell 15m off a cliff edge and bounced a bit on the way down. Hawke's exemplary service resulted in me buying a laser range finder, a spotting scope and the new APO Frontier bino's. Top notch products and warranty.

HOPEFULLY, I'll never need to test whether that policy still exists but it's good to hear that it once did.

BTW, guess who forgot to take his new binoculars out with him today... :banghead: In my his defence, we weren't planning on visiting the beach but roadworks of the primary route made a return via the beach an attractive option. Nothing really going on at the beach - certainly nothing that needed bins to see and visibility wasn't great either.

HOPEFULLY, I'll never need to test whether that policy still exists but it's good to hear that it once did.

BTW, guess who forgot to take his new binoculars out with him today... :banghead: In my his defence, we weren't planning on visiting the beach but roadworks of the primary route made a return via the beach an attractive option. Nothing really going on at the beach - certainly nothing that needed bins to see and visibility wasn't great either.

I often forget mine, I especially grudge it along the river, it makes me realise what a game changer my bins have been.

The plan is for them to live in my car but they haven't made it that far yet! Once they DO get there, I'll be able to forget they're there... Need to get in the habit of grabbing them as I go out of the door or car.

Remembered and took them out for their first real life use today. Have to say that I'm even more impressed with them in brightish (it is Winter after all!) sunlight. For the size and cost, I wasn't expecting perfection so the almost complete absence of CA was a bonus. Clear and bright as well as small and light - just what I was after.

@Nod
Now that you have had them a couple more weeks, how are you finding them?
I fancy a pair of compacts/lightweight and I think that 8x mag should be Ok but just a bit of a query over the objective lens diameter in terms of gathering light.
(I am a specs wearer - domnt know whether you are)
Any further view would be appreciated.

Specs? Sometimes but not often when out - I wear contacts then! In the interests of science, I've just had a quick play with them while wearing my specs and with the specs on and the eye relief sleeves (not sure how else to describe them!) would in, I get a cinematic binocular view but with the sleeves wound out for non specs use, the sleeves push my specs up and lets them drop back down, giving a better, round image.

Been quite busy with assorted things so not used them much other than in the garden. Well, looking out into the garden through the conservatory glass. Not sure I'd recommend them for low light use - as you say, the small objective lenses are a limiting factor but for my use(s), they're bright enough. 8x is enough for my wants/needs.

As with most things optical, I'd suggest a visit to a proper shop - LCE seem to stock them and are reasonably priced, although they seem to be back up to full price now.

@Nod
Now that you have had them a couple more weeks, how are you finding them?
I fancy a pair of compacts/lightweight and I think that 8x mag should be Ok but just a bit of a query over the objective lens diameter in terms of gathering light.
(I am a specs wearer - domnt know whether you are)
Any further view would be appreciated.

Our own pupils open to a maximum of about 7mm in poor light. It can be slightly larger in young people, and gradually gets less as we age, but 7 will do for comparative purposes.

You calculate the exit pupil of binoculars by dividing the diameter of the objective lenses in mm by the magnification. eg 7 x 50 and 8 x 56 both have an exit pupil of 7. These are usually regarded as night glasses and there's not much point in going beyond those specs because oureyes can't take advantage of anything beyond that. 10 x 50, 8 x 40 and 6x 30 all give you 5, which is a pretty good all rounder but not a compact. Most real compacts have objective lenses of about 20 or 25. Couple that with a magnification of 8, which is fairly standard, and you get an exit pupil of around 2.5 or 3. This is fine in decent light.

The quality of the lenses does come into it too. I have a pair of Leica 10 x 25mm compacts which punch well above their weight, and cope tolerably well in fading light, but I bought them years ago when I could just about afford it. I couldn't now, but they're lovely to use.

Back