Compact / Bridge camera for Florida holiday

Edit My Images
No
I normally shoot with high end equipment and am used to the quality of the image it produces.

I have a family Disney holiday coming up to Florida. Photography normally plays quite a large part of my holidays and no doubt it will again this year. I had planned to take 5d3, 70-200 and 35mm sigma art. The only niggling thought in the back of my mind is that using it every day, which I will want to, will mean a fair lump to carry around with me. With a boy of 5 and a girl of 10 I'll be on family duty, so lugging stuff, while playing isn't always ideal.

I tried 3 or so years ago to buy a £250 Sony compact and used just that on a euro Disney trip. While it did OK, I want overly impressed and was somewhat disappointed. I like to process raw images and these weren't good.

The question is how far have things moved on?

If I threw a £500/£600 budget on the table is there anything I can buy which doesn't need lens changes, will give me up to around 135mm, has good functionality, a fast shutter release and most importantly good quality raw images which won't be massively worse than a decent DSLR?

I'll happily buy second hand.

Any thoughts or opinions please?

I bought a Fuji X Pro-1 for my travelling camera.
Although I use primes, there are some great zooms available for the Fuji range too.
S/H prices are very low for the X Pro-1 now, and the image quality is amazing.

I took my Sony A6000 to Florida with me last year. I've got 2 kids as well (6/9) so had the same family duties and found the A6000 was perfect for it. I used a Capture Clip to attach it to my belt so no strap swinging around and used the kit 16-50, Samyang 12mm and Sigma 60mm. With one lens on the camera, the other two fit into one of the bags we were carrying anyway easily and added very little weight. I also took a Manfrotto Pixi tripod to give some stabilisation for longer exposures. All in it was the perfect setup for me.

Edit - I realise this isn't a fixed lens but for the very small size versus quality improvement I'd take it again over a bridge.

These are a few examples (all resized by the forum app upload so have lost their sharpness!);

16-50 Kit lens

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1463570303.555572.jpg

Samyang 12mm on Pixi tripod

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1463570329.514818.jpg

Sigma 60/2.8

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1463570348.716466.jpg

The full size images are here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m4zi1ez76i8znr8/AAA7HVHvmJPqXq2PLe0TtOlba?dl=0

Last edited:
A Sony DSC-RX10 or Panasonic FZ1000 might fit your requirements. They both use a Sony 1" sensor and have 24-200mm or 24-400mm lenses respectively.
I bought an RX10 when it was first released in November 2013 and sold my DSLR a year later.
If I'm asked, I might put a Mk1 RX10 in the sales section which would save you a good chunk of your budget.

Another vote for the RX100, mk 1, 2, 3 or 4! They all offer stunning raw files.

I had this quandary last year while deciding what camera to use whilst traveling as being highly mobile was important I needed something that fits in my pocket and can provide stunning images as the RX100 was perfect.

Last edited:
For me it was a toss up between the RX100 or Fuji x30. The Sony has a larger sensor and is certainly more pocketable, but the Fuji just felt right.

It felt so right in fact I ended up selling my Nikon gear for an X-T10 (as well as an X30!) :)

Last edited:
I asked a similar question recently in this thread. My budget was smaller than yours, but you might find some other suggestions in there.

In the end I went for a Lumix GX7 MFT, because it's pretty small and compact (although not really pocketable), had a viewfinder, and will allow me to get other lenses if I choose (or use my existing Nikon F-mount lenses via an adaptor).

I've just come back from Cyprus where I gave my newly acquired Panasonic FZ1000 a good try out. I normally shoot Olympus EM-1 but left it behind this trip. I also took my Sony RX100 IV, which is a cracking pocketable camera.

Here are a few from The Panasonic:

_1040209_zpsxc5j7mvq.jpg

_1030784_zpsyicfjwyo.jpg

_1030527_zps4k0bokvf.jpg

_1030674_zpsnytjhxzv.jpg

_1030406_zpswqxppbqa.jpg

Had a good think about it and decided to keep the 7d2 I was going to punt on for an extra month or so. I Will take that, my 24-105 and 35mm as a back up. Perhaps not idea, but selling the 7d2 to start into another system would only end in tears. I know what a gear whore I am......

That may be sensible. I was going to suggest a M4/3 type with a 14-140 lens, since that's a very light combination.

Back