Compact/Bridge recommendations

Name
Mike Simpson
Edit My Images
Yes
I feel bad for making one of these threads...lol :razz:

My mate is after a decent camera with video recording capabilities. The idea of an SLR is out the window, because he doesn't want to carry a SLR and video camera about, which i agree would be annoying.

Size isn't an issue, needs to have decent noise handling, good light metering and at least 640 x 480 @30fps video recording.

Zoom isn't a huge issue, something close to 200mm should be fine. Doesn't need fully manual controls, aperture and shutter priority are fine, changeable ISO and auto if possible.

I won't mention what i would recommend, what are your opinions? :thinking:

Mine takes reasonable videos, in low light too. It has all those featured you've mentioned.
It's the Fujii s9500.

Is he willing to do post process some raws or wouldn't he mind having a jpeg-only camera?
The Fuji S6500fd looks like it could do the job OK.
Here are some raw samples:
http://raw.fotosite.pl/index-Fuji_S6500fd_S6000fd_iso_test.htm
Couple it with Raw Therapee or s7raw.

Sony DSC-H7 might not be too bad, but the lens it has isn't as good as the Panasonic FZ-8 has, from the samples I've seen. http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProd...e=Main&category=DCC+Digital+Still+Cameras#tab

The FZ8 could be a good buy, as we all know already, but the Fuji is likely to have best noise parameters.

I forgot to mention budget which was 200 quid. I didn't really look at the s9500 as i thought it was 250+. Seems i was totally wrong. Is 170-190 for a s9500 a good price? And is the s9600 worth the extra money?

The Fuji S5600 is the camera I used to use and I got some nice pics with it. It has a video mode which I know has at least 640 x 480 recording but I'm not sure about the fps. You can get it for around £120 new. My friend just bought a used but mint one off ebay for £80 and he loves it.

Oh, and it has all those things you mentioned :D

Some of the pics I took with it on my flickr -here

The price dropped rapidly on the s9500 after the s9600 came out, believe it has IS which the 9500 doesn't but I have never found it to be a problem with the 9500. Apart from that I think the upgrade to 9600 isn't worth it, just my opinion though.

Mine takes reasonable videos, in low light too. It has all those featured you've mentioned.
It's the Fujii s9500.

Susane, quite an odd request, but is there any chance you could stick the camera out the window one day and video the cars going past on the road? Traffic gives a good indication as to how jumpy a video camera is, even though it states 30fps. I've tried to find video samples from the s9500 on the net, but can't find any :(

If the above is not possible, any video would be appreciated, would just like to check the overall quality.

look for S5600 video try youtube sure its improved. Never shot video on S9600 just took pics but vid on S5600 is fine but you only get about 15 mins on 1 gig card. double bonus it use 4 AA batteries, cheap & can get rechargables last most of day, run out pop into any shop

Susane, quite an odd request, but is there any chance you could stick the camera out the window one day and video the cars going past on the road? Traffic gives a good indication as to how jumpy a video camera is, even though it states 30fps. I've tried to find video samples from the s9500 on the net, but can't find any :(

If the above is not possible, any video would be appreciated, would just like to check the overall quality.

Taking the video would be no problem, can't do it until Wednesday though if that's not too late.
Also I don't have a clue how to send it to you.:D

I've been doing a search on YouTube and this guy is a railway enthusiast, he has a website and he says he used his Fuji S9500 to take video's of his journeys.
He's a real trainspotter.:D
I don't know what editing prog he used but believe me the S9500 quality is better than this example he's put on Youtube. There are a lot more but only the ones from Dec 2006 onwards are with this camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8vaHo70XOI

I'll get you a better example!
Is it easy to upload a video on rapidshare? I've never done it before.

Good find Slapo, it's the middle url Alexisonfire that is the S9500 it's called the S9000 outside the EU. Theres only one example of it's video capabilities on that page near the bottom, a collie dog video.
The others are for the less expensive Fuji range but still show the quality and have transport video examples.:)

If your interested i have a short video taken with my S6500fd, (32mb).

Back