Compact camera advice

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys my mate wants to buy a compact digital camera, they want it to be small, have good battery life, and take clear pictures. The other features are nice but not as important to them. Now I aint up on compacts and wondered if anybody has some ideas on make, model, and the best buys..budget is up to £200... Any advice would be greatly appreciated..(y)

I just got a Canon s95 and i'm really surprised how good it is (y)

My S95 arrived today from Amazon, I bought from them so I could fire it straight back if I did not like it. :naughty:

It was a slightly reluctant purchase as I have been a Nikon nut for 35 years! Not happy with Nikon compacts so I took the plunge and got this S95 for it's pocketability when I cannot be bothered with my D7000 and a bagful of glass and I cannot alternatively be bothered to strap my LX3 to the hip.
Impressions so far are very good both in build quality and performance.

This S95 is a keeper and great value for money compared to the slightly better and substantially more expensive S100!(y)

My S95 arrived today from Amazon, I bought from them so I could fire it straight back if I did not like it. :naughty:

It was a slightly reluctant purchase as I have been a Nikon nut for 35 years! Not happy with Nikon compacts so I took the plunge and got this S95 for it's pocketability when I cannot be bothered with my D7000 and a bagful of glass and I cannot alternatively be bothered to strap my LX3 to the hip.
Impressions so far are very good both in build quality and performance.

This S95 is a keeper and great value for money compared to the slightly better and substantially more expensive S100!(y)

Great news! Am super excited now!!! Sarah

somebody mentioned the Fujifilm Finepix F500 EXR what do you think :)

I have a Samsung EX1 and it's a pretty decent camera if you're on a budget although the Canon S95 is admittedly much better. The EX1 is portable but has a sturdy metal body, nice bright f1.8 wide angle lens, good big clear screen on it which is tiltable and handy for tilting it away from the sun to reduce glare and also good for low down shots. It can shoot in RAW though I don't shoot RAW with mine so can't tell you what the quality is like. It has full manual controls as well and it has proper dials if like me you like dials rather than touch screens.

Cons are crap zoom (3x) and for some reason it isn't possible to review images with the lens cap on!

The other one I liked was the Olympus XZ1 and the fab Panasonic DX5 but the DX5 was out of my price range sadly :crying:

Hope it helps.

Another thumbs up for the S95 (I have the S90 & S95 as well as a Lumix TZ)

The Olympus XZ-1 looks interesting though, but I doubt it's a better buy than the S95, and it's more expensive...

Don't forget the sony HX series..... really like the panoramic function, does well with action shots, indoor and low light average, but a great camera all the same, thought I was the HX7 for around £200 at curry's?

I'm never without my S95.

Back