Compact Camera around £200

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I need to buy a compact camera for my wife to carry around when I don't want to take my DSLR out with me. I am looking for a point and shoot (for the wife) with a few advanced features (for me) such as shutter priority/ aperture priority etc.

It needs to be for all occasions use IE family snap shots, parties, travel, days out, the odd Motorsport event etc etc but mainly snapshots being able to take good quality photos is more important to us than movies.

The budget is around £200 and I have been looking at Canon PowerShot SX700 HS in particular.

Is there anything you would recommend in my price range apart from this camera?

Many Thanks

Matt

Fuji X20 you could get used , its my compact / family day out camera and I love it!!

be aware that simply electronics don't have the greastest reputation though... a quick look through either this forum or google will show them as being at the less reliable end of the grey import market - also the NX2000 is a CSC not a compact camera like the OP requested.

My recomendation would be one of the panasonic TZseries - my walking arround camera is a TZ35 which cost me £150 - its small enough to go in a pocket or a pouch on your belt (or a handbag in your wifes case) and yet has a good zoom, decent resolution, and PASM control if she wants it.

Canon s120 (£235 at digitalrev) I'm very tempted myself as this is probably the most pocketable 'decent' compact, with very good video ability too I hear.

How about a Fuji XF1 £130 at Currys

I had a look at this a few days ago love the look of it but not sure about the lens lock and zoom controls

Fuji X20 you could get used , its my compact / family day out camera and I love it!!

X20 new is unfortunatly above my budget and although I would buy a used camera I wouldn't want to give one as a present

be aware that simply electronics don't have the greatest reputation though... a quick look through either this forum or google will show them as being at the less reliable end of the grey import market - also the NX2000 is a CSC not a compact camera like the OP requested.

Thanks for the feedback on Simply Electronics

My recomendation would be one of the panasonic TZseries - my walking arround camera is a TZ35 which cost me £150 - its small enough to go in a pocket or a pouch on your belt (or a handbag in your wifes case) and yet has a good zoom, decent resolution, and PASM control if she wants it.

View attachment 26193 I have got the TZ40, having done this to the TZ30. but I can recommend both of them!

I will have a look to see if my local shop has one I can play with the weekend

@everyone else

Thanks for the replies, you have defenatly gave me something to think about.

Back