Compact camera for low light situations.

What about one of the Sony NEX's? they can be picked up quite cheaply now and have the APSC size sensor that will give more light grasp than the smaller 1.17 & 2/3rds sensors

For me you need to define 'compact' as one persons compact is another persons brick hence the suggestions for anything from an RX100 to a NEX. For me compact means fits in my jeans pocket none of this massive coat pocket malarky and for a decent compact that leaves you with two choices the latest Canon Powershot s1xx (the recently replaced S110 is a available at a good price) or the Sony RX100 if you can stretch to it. The sony is definitely the better camera but the Canon is better value.

For me you need to define 'compact' as one persons compact is another persons brick hence the suggestions for anything from an RX100 to a NEX. For me compact means fits in my jeans pocket none of this massive coat pocket malarky and for a decent compact that leaves you with two choices the latest Canon Powershot s1xx (the recently replaced S110 is a available at a good price) or the Sony RX100 if you can stretch to it. The sony is definitely the better camera but the Canon is better value.

Having recently purchased an S110 for slightly over £200 I am confident to say this is a superb little camera. I tried the XF-1 first as I love the look of it, but it was certainly not jeans pocket material despite being a nice little camera. I ruled out the RX100 for the same reason. I can take the S110 anywhere and not need a bag/coat/jacket pocked to keep it in.

Forget all of these slow lenses. You don't want to be shooting past f2.8 at night even with a large sensor let alone one that's fitted to a sub £300 compact...

As far as compacts go you're looking at these for example;

Panasonic LX7
Fuji X10/20
Canon G16
Olympus XZ-2

For low light alone I'd personally opt for the LX7 since I'm usually shooting ISO400-800 at night (and because I have it and it's great!).

If it needs to be pocketable, then the Canon S110 would be perfect and produces very good quality images (assuming it's as good, if not better than the older S100).
I've had lots of compacts and the thing I like about Canon compacts is consistency. The keeper rate seems higher than other compacts.

So, Canon S110, Panasonic LX7 or Fuji X10.............any thoughts? He's relatively new to photography and yes, it does need to be pocket-able.

Well everyones definition of 'pocketable' seems to vary but of those 3 I would say that only the Canon is really pocketable in a wide variety of pockets. :)

http://filmgeartorture.wordpress.com/2013/01/16/sony-rx100-review-vs-lx7-s110/

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_LX7/verdict.shtml

http://www.ronmartblog.com/2013/01/sony-dsc-rx100-vs-fujifilm-x10-vs-canon.html

Last edited:
Agre
pocketable is such a difficult thing to define the number of people who recommend csc's and some of the fuji retro stuff under that definition amazes me as I don't own a single item of clothing with a pocket they would fit comfortably in!

Back to the op I really don't think you can look past the s110 it fits your needs perfectly!

DigitalRev have the S100 for £165 (y)

Back