Compact camera suggestions

Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone, I’ve been looking into getting a compact camera something like a Sony RX100 VII or a canon power shot.
I have several trips coming up where I’m only taking hand luggage and I will be doing a lot of walking around cities.
I do have a camera system but with the space and weight limit it isn’t really feasible to take.

I want something that’s more than my phone and that I can edit when I get home. So have been looking in to compact cameras.
Also if I got a compact I would probably be able to take it to work and get more out of it.

Am I being stupid and is there little benefit of a compact compared to modern iPhones?

He would mainly be for travel, landscape, and some nighttime shooting

Any suggestions would be great thanks

Aside from compacts, of which there are some excellent examples around, don't disregard an Olympus EM10 with a suitable zoom. Not quite as pocketable as a compact with superzoom, but perhaps more of a familiar form-factor?

Maybe have a look at the Panasonic Lumix LX100. But be aware that there have been reports of dust on the sensor (which I personally have not experienced) on the Mark 1 version.

Am I being stupid and is there little benefit of a compact compared to modern iPhones?
You're not being in the least bit stupid.

As a major upgrade to your 'phone, you might consider Panasonic's TZ series or Sony's HX series. I use both regularly and they are both pocketable and able to provide equivalent focal lengths of 24 to 720mm. Of course, they have limitations but for most uses they provide tremendous capability in extremely small packages...

Cameras Sony HX90 and Panasonic TZ70 DSC01601.JPG

Aside from compacts, of which there are some excellent examples around, don't disregard an Olympus EM10 with a suitable zoom. Not quite as pocketable as a compact with superzoom, but perhaps more of a familiar form-factor?
Thanks will have a look

You're not being in the least bit stupid.

As a major upgrade to your 'phone, you might consider Panasonic's TZ series or Sony's HX series. I use both regularly and they are both pocketable and able to provide equivalent focal lengths of 24 to 720mm. Of course, they have limitations but for most uses they provide tremendous capability in extremely small packages...

View attachment 399745
Haha thanks. I didn’t think I was but good to check

I really like the Sony RX100's. I got the M3 as an upgrade to a Canon S95. Very similar design, but better in every way and with a viewfinder. :)

I then got the M5 for the improved AF and a few other things. The AF was so good that I wanted the extra zoom of the M6/M7 to make more use of it. I chose the M7 for the built in Intervelometer, and the zero blackout whilst shooting, and it's been brilliant. They all have. :) If the Intervelometer, and the zero blackout are not important, the M6 is a cheaper option.

I bought all those used, the M3 here, and the other two on eBay. The difference in prices of the M6 and M7 were not as large used as they are when new, so the bit extra for the M7 was worth it for me. :)

I have a compact mainly as a 'have all the time camera to hand' whilst travelling, when the DSLR is in the backpack. The quality is close to a DSLR in good conditions, and so I'm using them in more situations. The M7 probably has better AF than my DSLR. :oops: :$

I think the M7 is the pinnacle for compact camera features/quality/, that I doubt will be beaten now the market has moved away from compact cameras towards phones for that niche 'have all the time' camera.

The Panasonic LX100 has a larger sensor, but shorter focal range, and is a larger camera that the RX100's. The Canon G5 X Mark II is slightly larger, and does not have the focal range of the M6/M7. The Sony HX cameras have a much smaller sensor than the RX100's, as do some of the longer focal range Panasonic's. Some Panasonic camera have much larger focal range, but much smaller sensor.

For general city travelling, I found the shorter focal range, 24-70mm fine for 90% of pics.

I would advise handling as many as possible to judge the right size. One person's just right may be too big or small for someone else. ;)

Last edited:
I really like the Sony RX100's. I got the M3 as an upgrade to a Canon S95. Very similar design, but better in every way and with a viewfinder. :)

I then got the M5 for the improved AF and a few other things. The AF was so good that I wanted the extra zoom of the M6/M7 to make more use of it. I chose the M7 for the built in Intervelometer, and the zero blackout whilst shooting, and it's been brilliant. They all have. :) If the Intervelometer, and the zero blackout are not important, the M6 is a cheaper option.

I bought all those used, the M3 here, and the other two on eBay. The difference in prices of the M6 and M7 used were not as large used as they are when new, so the bit extra for the M7 was worth it for me. :)

I have a compact mainly as a 'have all the time camera to hand' whilst travelling, when the DSLR is in the backpack. The quality is close to a DSLR in good conditions, and so I'm using them in more situations. The M7 probably has better AF than my DSLR. :oops: :$

I think the M7 is the pinnacle for compact camera features/quality/, that I doubt will be beaten now the market has moved away from compact cameras towards phones for that niche 'have all the time' camera.

The Panasonic LX100 has a larger sensor, but shorter focal range, and is a larger camera that the RX100's. The Canon G5 X Mark II is slightly larger, and does not have the focal range of the M6/M7. The Sony HX cameras have a much smaller sensor than the RX100's, as do some of the longer focal range Panasonic's. Some Panasonic camera have much larger focal range, but much smaller sensor.

For general city travelling, I found the shorter focal range, 24-70mm fine for 90% of pics.

I would advise handling as many as possible to judge the right size. One person's just right may be too big or small for someone else. ;)
Best have a look at an lx100 then. Yeah I will try and get to a shop at some point now I have a few options to look at as as you say it’s best to handle them

timely post I have to admit as while I've been impressed with my iphone 13 pro max Im missing having a "proper" camera a bit :-/
I'm really annoyed now though after reading @redhed17 's post as im actually thinking of going all in for a RX100vii!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

timely post I have to admit as while I've been impressed with my iphone 13 pro max Im missing having a "proper" camera a bit :-/
I'm really annoyed now though after reading @redhed17 's post as im actually thinking of going all in for a RX100vii!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:
I have the Sony rx100 vii and although small it is very easy to handle and use, I have posted quite a few shots in the https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/sony-rx-series-united-thread.735469/ thread. As said the focus system is excellent to say the very least and the focal range of 24-200 is more than useful.

Last edited:
I put on a thread the other week showing images taken with the RX100M7 and a Nikon D500 and 70-300mm of the same subject. The images are in good light, but I think the M7 comes out quite well in comparison. Don't get me wrong, the Nikon combo is better, but to have that quality in your pocket/backpack is nice to have. You can see that here if you are interested. :)

To demonstrate the tech in the Sony compared to the Nikon, the AF is better in the Sony, and it does double the frames per second of the DSLR. And in one mode, does 60fps, :oops: :$ for 7 images. :LOL: All in something that fits in my pocket. :D

The iPhone 13 Pro Max can do a lot more things, so is not too bad to have. ;)

Last edited:
It may not be the camera for the OP, as it isn't that compact, or flexible, but my go to for that sort of trip, or for slinging in my back for mountain bike rides is the Fuji X100V.

I picked up a lightly used RX100 VII recently as something smaller for my back-of-the-car bag than my GX9 and 12-60mm. I took it to Imber on Monday and took my usual photos there. The exposures were extremely good and I don't think I need to do any pp apart from some cropping.

Check out the Canon G5x mk2.
  • 20MP 1"-type stacked CMOS sensor
  • 24-120mm equiv. F1.8-2.8 lens
  • Pop-up electronic viewfinder and flash
  • Touchscreen tilts up 180° and down 90°
  • 8fps burst shooting with autofocus, 30fps Raw burst mode
  • 4K/30p, 1080/60p video recording with IS (no 24p options)
  • 1080/120p slow motion video with no audio or autofocus
  • Wi-Fi + Bluetooth wireless connectivity
  • USB 3.1 (with USB-C connector) for data transfer and charging
  • 230-shot battery life (180 using the EVF) per CIPA standard
I have owned two iterations of the Sony RX100. Excellent cameras but I find them so difficult to handle ? smooth and slippy. This G5X is so much better without being much bigger. I understand it's the same sensor as in the RX100 so great IQ. A great 'touch screen' implementation ( have Sony have mastered this yet ?) A super 24-120 f1.8-2.8 lens. ' I commend it to the house '

I bought an RX100vi a couple of years ago exactly for what the OP wants one for, and I have to say it’s ideal. Great quality images, functional (if at times a tad fiddly). But mostly lightweight and pocketable. Wouldn’t be without it, especially on trips where I don’t want to lug a bigger unit around.

I've got a Sony ZV1 and a pano TZ80, although I carry the TZ80 mostly because it's zoom range is longer, the Sony is better quality, bigger sensor and way better in low light. Not enough difference in size and weight to matter.

I recently wondered about a Sony Rx100, tried a Sony Rx10iv and struggled with the menus (and assumed that the Rx100 would be much the same) so now have stuck with fuji (xt5) - all knobs and buttons, and far easier for me.
I'd still quite like something pocket-able but not at the expense of too much menu fiddling - does anything like this exist?

I recently wondered about a Sony Rx100, tried a Sony Rx10iv and struggled with the menus (and assumed that the Rx100 would be much the same) so now have stuck with fuji (xt5) - all knobs and buttons, and far easier for me.
I'd still quite like something pocket-able but not at the expense of too much menu fiddling - does anything like this exist?
Seems a common them re the menus but apparantly it's a non starter as there is a system in the camera to make your "my menu" which makes things much easier.

I haven't found the Sony menus to be that different from the Nikon menus I'm used to. :thinking: Each manufacturer's menus have their own quirks from what I have heard, but how you use the camera may inform how much you would have to use the menus.

In both my Nikon and Sony cameras, I go through all the menus when I get a new camera, changing obvious things for the way I like them, and then researching the things that are new, and changing them (or not) to what suits me. Both brands have a shortcut to a quick menu of the settings you may change most often.

With the RX100's, pressing the Fn button brings up two rows of easily accessible, and easily changeable, settings, enabling 12 settings to be easily changed. Using that, I don't really have to go into the main menus that often once that is set up, and added to the settings that can be assigned to a few of the body buttons, it just takes using it a lot for the set up to become 2nd nature, as with every camera.

Last edited:
With the RX100's, pressing the Fn button brings up two rows of easily accessible, and easily changeable, settings, enabling 12 settings to be easily changed. Using that, I don't really have to go into the main menus that often once that is set up, and added to the settings that can be assigned to a few of the body buttons, it just takes using it a lot for the set up to become 2nd nature, as with every camera.
This 100%.

Maybe I’m not utilising my camera properly, but like redhead17 I rarely need to venture into the RX100 menus,. The Fn button works just like a “Q” button and can be customised enough for me.

Back