Compact camera to complement a DSLR

Edit My Images
Yes
I am looking for a compact camera to complement my 350D. My budget is up to £150. I currently have a Canon A75, but it's showing its age in lens movement, and what was acceptable 3 years ago for menu speed and startup time is now becoming a major pain (especially when I use newer cameras like my dads Ixus 700 IS)

It can be a canon, or another manufacturer. I've heard good things about Panasonic. IS is strongly recommended, but not entirely needed.

Resolution isn't really important as long as it's above 5 or so megapixels.

Things I'm looking for are a good zoom range - at least 4x zoom is good. Wide zoom is better, but not needed. The lens should also be reasonably fast.

I don't mind an old/replaced model - I buy items on virtue of spec vs cost, not whether or not they were replaced 2 months ago.

I'm sorry for having to ask here, but my knowledge of the market right now is rather poor.

If anyone knows of other manufacturers I'm overlooking (Kodak, Nikon etc), please tell me.

Oh..and I refuse to buy Sony.

I almost always have a Canon Ixus with me when I haven't got the dslr with me.

it's getting on a bit now, but it manages to get decent images as long as you don't really need flash. :D

I have a Fuji S5600. 10x zoom (38-380mm 35mm terms). Not that good in low light, but good for grab type shots and birding especially (tis what I use it for).

The wife has a Panasonic FX something that cost about that much. Seems very good for the price. Tiny little thing too.

I've just ordered a Ricoh Capilo R6 for just a few quid over your budget, after reading good reviews in mags and on the www. 7 megapix and x7 zoom. Expecting it to arrive Monday.

I actually looked at that. Where did you buy it?

Ricoh GR-D would be my weapon of choice, but I can't justify the expense right now. Otherwise I've heard good things about the Canon A640 and G7. Although my DSLR kit is Nikon, so far I've heard better things about the Canon compacts.

The fixed focal length and expense of the GR-D makes it unatractive.

I'm looking for a relatively compact camera - I've already got a DSLR and some lenses, but I've found that it often is too big to take places. My current compact, an A75, is slightly too chunky (more thickness than physical size - thanks to the ginormous battery grip thingmy for 4 AAs) and the IQ indoors and at anything above ISO 100 is unnaceptable.

The Ricoh R6 looks just about perfect. One question: I can get the R6 for £170, or the R5 for £125. Is it worth getting the R6 for £45 more (considering that would take another month to save up), or are the improvements (from what I can see, the R6 is slightly thinner and has better firmware) worth it. The IQ from the R6 seems slightly better at higher ISO's (less NR).

Just got my R6. By the time the battery had charged it was dark, so here's a few from my study. All settings on AUTO, except for ISO which I varied from lowest to highest. ISO 1600 was soooooo awful, I won't bother posting!

ISO 64
ISO-64.jpg

ISO 100
ISO-100.jpg

ISO 200
ISO-200.jpg

ISO 400
ISO-400.jpg

ISO 800
ISO-800.jpg

Thanks! The R6 is a very likely contender. I'll have to wait until I have adequate funds, but it looks like a great camera for not very much.

Back