Compact camera with viewfinder

Name
James
Edit My Images
No
Hi all

Looking for some help in recommending a compact camera for my mother, as it's not really an area of the market I'm up to date with. She wants a new camera to replace an old(ish) Samsung compact that's playing up - she's not looking for anything particularly special, in her words its just to be used to 'save taking a phone out' and take 'better quality photos' than her phone. Will mainly be used while travelling, eating out etc.

Her partner's said he'd like a viewfinder, so that's been the main factor in my searches, and so far the best I've been able to find is the Panasonic TZ80. It looks decent enough to me, but was just wondering if I've missed anything? I've already stretched the budget with the TZ80 (£250), so looking for recommendations at or under this.

Thanks
James

Its alright but I'm going to get the TZ200 instead as the sensor is much better - I'll send a link over when I've listed it though, going to bob it on Ebay this week for £190. Personally I'd push for more the TZ100 maybe - get a used carefully. one off Ebay for around about the price

What about a used Sony RX100 mark 3?? I've personal experience of using one, although mine has now passed on to my daughter (and is sadly underused. I was always of the opinion that image quality (in general) exceeded what you could reasonably expect from a camera of this cost and size (1") sensor.
It has a pop up viewfinder which takes a bit of getting used to but is invaluable in bright sunlight. Video quality is v.good too. For comparison purposes, i was previoulsy a Canon user (70D/80D) and currently use M43 with a Panasonic/Leica 15mm lens.

I Have a TZ80 probably not used it for 6 month or so due to mainly using the D500 and D800 but I found it to be a very good camera for what it is.

Thanks for the suggestions - good to hear others are happy with the TZ70/80.

I don't think I'll be able to convince her to consider used, so the TZ100/200/LX100 probably aren't options - her needs are fairly basic and she just wouldn't value the extra spec/features to justify going used. But thanks for the suggestions.

@goinggreynow, @maarten.dhaese, thanks for the RX100 suggestion, I'd initially looked at Sony but just browsed product images quickly and didn't realise it had an EVF. It looks larger than the Panasonic one, so might be worth her trying both.

Edit - just realised I was looking at a RX100 at £279 which could have been an option, but didn't realise it wasn't a MkIII. I'll suggest considering used but not hopeful, so it looks like I may be back to the TZ80.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions - good to hear others are happy with the TZ70/80.

I don't think I'll be able to convince her to consider used, so the TZ100/200/LX100 probably aren't options - her needs are fairly basic and she just wouldn't value the extra spec/features to justify going used. But thanks for the suggestions.

@goinggreynow, @maarten.dhaese, thanks for the RX100 suggestion, I'd initially looked at Sony but just browsed product images quickly and didn't realise it had an EVF. It looks larger than the Panasonic one, so might be worth her trying both.

Edit - just realised I was looking at a RX100 at £279 which could have been an option, but didn't realise it wasn't a MkIII. I'll suggest considering used but not hopeful, so it looks like I may be back to the TZ80.
Hi James.
Thanks for the reply.
Just as matter of interest, you don’t by any chance live in the West Country? My daughter may be willing to let me borrow the camera for a day or two.
stuart

Hi Stuart, sorry for not seeing this sooner. I wish I was but unfortunately I'm in Oxfordshire, but thanks so much anyway. I think the simplest thing is going to be the TZ80 given her needs are pretty simple

Back