Compact camera

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I'm currently shooting with a Canon EOS 40D and 50D (with hankerings to go full frame), but I'm looking for a small compact that I can take to events where hauling along an SLR is impractical due to size or risk of loss.

Soooo, any suggestions? Looking to buy 2nd hand and spend under £100 (although the Fuji X30 is beautiful and may tempt me).

Current thoughts are one of the many (many!) IXUS models, or possibly a PowerShot (again, a bit over budget, but hey).

Cheers,
Iain

I have a Fuji X20 which is great but not quick to get going with its lens twist to switch on but I like it's foibles and IQ. I also have a Canon G16 which I like too and will probably take on the next trip to put in a pocket or on my wrist. I am just dispatching a Canon M as the lack of viewfinder was too vexing. I've heard really good things about the Sony RX100 series but don't know what price they go for 2nd hand. hope that helps... Let us know what you choose.

Canon g16 is a winner! Great little compact with a big punch

Thanks, the g16 looks pretty good. I'll have a shop around :)

Insurance...it's really more about the portability I guess...

Cheers,

Iain

Fuji xf1 are pretty cheap, and have a manual zoom ring :)

I guess it depends what you think you need.
My current set up for events is a Fuji X30 paired with a 5D3 & 100-400.

Here's a recent example - I've been taking the publicity images and shots for the artists portfolios at 'step in stone'.
https://stepinstonesomerset.wordpress.com/
The two images used on the flyers displayed on their home page were both taken with the X30.
They expect high quality images and the little X30 delivers the goods.

I find the manual twist to turn on and zoom quick and easy; it's massively superior to zoom buttons.
One twist and lift to the eye, it's straight at the long end of the lens ready to go.
The EVF lets me reliably check the exposure; gets it right first time most of the time - and compared to the earlier little Fuji's (and many other pocket cameras) the battery life is superb :)

Edited to add - wouldn't recommend the XF1; there seem to be reliability issues. Check the owners thread here on TP :)

Last edited:
Edited to add - wouldn't recommend the XF1; there seem to be reliability issues. Check the owners thread here on TP :)
I have one and it broke - repaired under warranty. I'd still recommend it if on a limited budget.
You can pick up a 2nd hand one for ~£70. That's a lot of camera for the money - just buy one that's already been repaired :)

I have always wanted the G series compact camera and now the G16 can be had for a very good price around £190 delivered from Eglobalcentral if you don't mind buying Imports.

I have always wanted the G series compact camera and now the G16 can be had for a very good price around £190 delivered from Eglobalcentral if you don't mind buying Imports.
I started out with a Canon Powershot camera, an S40, well ahead of its time and a wonderfully crisp lens. So I've always had a soft spot for the little Canons.
But I would recommend trying a G16 and X30 back-to-back; the results are no where near as clear cut as review sites like DPReview seem to make out.
For example, someone I know in the trade took his personal X30 to a recent Canon event and they lent him a G16 for the day as they thought the Fuji was a little out of place; he used both cameras. He was expecting the Fuji would handle the best as that's why he chose it in the first place, but what surprised him was that when he printed images from both to A4, he preferred the Fuji prints. It is fairly subjective as they are actually very close in the image quality they produce, but it's not always about the DXO rating and other numbers.

I suspect this holds true for other little cameras; try before you buy - especially if you get the opportunity to take images of the same subjects.
But one thing is for certain - the little Fujis offer a heck of a lot of camera for the money!

Hi all,

Just to let you know I plumped for the G16, so thanks for all the advice and recommendations :)

It arrived this morning; just waiting for the battery to charge! Seems a nice wee camera already though.

Cheers,
Iain

So we will see some pictures soon ? :) Good choice and it really is a cracking small compact camera the G16

PS: Can I ask where you purchased it and how much.

Cheers, yes some pictures coming soon :)

Budget was blown. Just under 200 notes on ebay as a new (ex-display) item.

Thanks again,
Iain

Back