Compact, compact, compact tripod

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
Says it all, really. I'd like a tripod that'll reach my eye level, or not too far off, and that folds into basically nothing. I'm 5'7".

Stability would be a luxury, but isn't essential by any means. It'll have to hold a K100D with light-ish lenses (manual metal-bodied standard zooms, cheap plastic telephotos), but I have mirror lock-up, remote release and sensor SR at my disposal, as well as a little patience :)

Budget? I'll see what I can get, and then decide whether I can afford to pay for it or not. If it's expensive, I'll buy it anyway, just not yet. My student loan comes through in January, you see :p

When I say nothing, I mean something I can fit unobtrusively in a backpack, or something... ideally, max 12" long and no more than about 3" wide when folded. Weight is less important.

Am I dreaming?

Thanks lots
Jonathan

Thanks both - TrekPod looks perhaps *too* unstable but the Manfrotto is tempting. Will investigate the 785b, and watch my bank account intently... :)

I've just popped into Jessops in Putney (shame on me) and they have a 785B - £60. Overpriced, of course, but it feels really good and I'll go in there with my camera and a heavy lens at some point to get a real idea. I like!

The D80+kit lens is comparable in weight to the K100D+kit lens, from what I remember of the feel.

Another vote here for the Velbon. I have one and it's lightweight and folds really small.

another vote for the LUXI, very stable in my opinion. espically when you kit is on it.

Thanks for the Velbon suggestions everyone :) I've tried a couple of Velbons on Tottenham Court Road and wasn't impressed - I far prefer the feel of the Manfrotto - although I don't know if I tried the 'Luxi' or not. Is it likely it was in a shop, or are they somewhat reclusive?

One thing i have add regarding Manfrotto, you can get pretty much every single part for all of their tripods, the afterservice is excellent, although the part i ordered wasnt in stock, they said it would take about 3 weeks for it arrive.. 3 weeks later, part arrived!

How would it cope with a D200 with Grip and a large heavy lens?

G.

Poorly...

It would work ok with wide angle/small lenses though and is very very portable so I won't be getting rid of mine despite having a heavy tripod.

Get a decent tripod to start with, think about future upgrades to your kit...do you want to buy another tripod in a years time because the first one you bought couldn't handle a new new lens?

Get a decent tripod to start with, think about future upgrades to your kit...do you want to buy another tripod in a years time because the first one you bought couldn't handle a new new lens?

I have a tripod, but it's such a pain in the 4rse for when I want to go out and take a few snaps at night. Heavy as hell!!

A wee fold away would be ideal.

I truly believe the 785b has a place in anyone's collection. It's main feature is how lightweight it is, yet it'll reach nice and high and is usable to get most shots.

Its great and I use it more often than my manfrotto 055CB just because its quick and convenient.

I've recently bought a Feisol CT 3441, mainly because it is small and light and I'll be able to chuck in in a suitcase. I'm very pleased.

Its only available (as far as I know) direct from Taiwan - mine came in three days. The web site is not very inspiring, but the tripods are cool.

http://www.feisol.com

If you order the (B) model it comes with the (small) CB-30 ball head, and a carry bag. Options include ground spikes and a short centre column.

I have an old (heavy) tripod but as EdinburghGary pointed out, it rarely get used because I can't be bothered to lug it about.

Manfrotto modo 785b?

http://www.devoncamera.co.uk/index.cfm/photographic/Products.Details/product_id/1057/subject/manfrotto_785b_modo_maxi_digi_tripod_black

this is currently my only tripod its very compact when folded up and very light, yet unfolds to quite a height. the pics show it with a mini compact but both me and Theory use ours with our D80's..

Its an amazing little thing.

I use this model as a "holiday" tripod, great little thing and is small when collapsed.

Re: 785b. Just picked one up and it's very light :)
will be used for walks etc, the heavy weight for longer car journeys.

Another Velbon Ultra Luxi F user signing in. Works fine with my D200 and 70-200 2.8

EdinburghGary, theory, dizzledazzle, good news: I now own a 785b :D

£50 including a free bag (they happened to have a spare, not a bundle deal) from London Camera Exchange on the Strand.

Very pleased, though I haven't shot with it properly yet :)

Back