compact digital needed

Edit My Images
No
I'm looking to buy a reasonable quality compact digital, already got a 40D and kit but want something smaller to take on motorbike trips where the 40 and lens just take up too much space in my tank bag. majority of use will be landscape stuff, budget 200 - £300, not sure I need a big zoom as it seems to reduce pixel count quality if used.

Don't know much about them so looking for advice on what models to look at, needed urgently as I'm in Hong Kong tomorrow so can grab a bargain :D

Suggestions welcome .......

Hi, I've just bought a Canon Powershot A720 IS for my Dad ready for Farthers Day, been trying it out this week, well impressed, IS works very well, negatives are plasticy, but can live with that for the price, SD is within battery compartment, uses 2 AA's (would have preferred 4 AA for longer bat life), but overall, very impressed with image quality, may well get one for myself, paid £109 inc del, bargain :)

A friend of mine bought a Ricoh GR-Digital (first version) for about £160! That's ridiculously cheap, bearing in mind if was Jessops!

Personally I'd suggest the Ricoh GX-100 VF kit (comes with optional detachable viewfinder). It's like the compact for the DSLR user, shooting with a 3:2 aspect ratio, RAW, with a focal range of 24-70 (35mm equiv.). Excellent piece of kit, and not bunged up with all kinds of useless crap like face recognition, etc.

My Power-shot A70 only just died and although it felt plasticky it took a hell of a hammering. Great Camera with plenty of flexibility had all the same modes as my 30D (even manual) so would definitely recommend any of the power-shots and will be replacing the dead one as soon as I get some cash together.

In the meantime, I'm using an Olympus 850SW, drop proof waterproof thing. Picture quality is good, but the menu / manual options are pretty dire. As a bullet proof P&S for snaps etc. though it does the job.

I'm looking to buy a reasonable quality compact digital, already got a 40D and kit but want something smaller to take on motorbike trips where the 40 and lens just take up too much space in my tank bag. majority of use will be landscape stuff, budget 200 - £300, not sure I need a big zoom as it seems to reduce pixel count quality if used.

Don't know much about them so looking for advice on what models to look at, needed urgently as I'm in Hong Kong tomorrow so can grab a bargain :D

Suggestions welcome .......
Look no further than the Canon G9. Fantastic it is. Since I got mine I use my 40D much less.

G9s got my vote (y)

Compliments my 40D nicely. Not as small as some and at the top end price-wise. But it's the dogs pyjamas.

Depends how and what you want to shoot, I like RAW, so the G9 is great, if you never shoot RAW, you would be paying for something you never use.

You can get 'bolt on' lens adapters if required.

If you go for one, budget for additional SD cards and a case.

Go for the G9 its very nice borrowed on last weekend now it is on my shopping list...

Shutterman

thanks folks, I've just been checking out the G9 and VX-100 and both look like they'll do exactly what I want.

thanks folks, I've just been checking out the G9 and VX-100 and both look like they'll do exactly what I want.
Good luck to you old chap. And I'd be interested to know how much it costs you in Honk Kong.

It should be cheap, I priced up a 70 -200 f2.8 L IS Canon lens last month in Stanley Street, best price worked out at about £800 !! almost 30% cheaper than the UK, need to factor in the fast train cost in and out as well I guess as I usually don't bother going into town as I don't really like it that much. Weirdly I'd been to one of the biggest camera dealers in Osaka on the same trip and the same lens was more expensive than Hong Kong, I'd have thought Canon would be cheaper in Japan but not so.

Working in Taiwan at moment and will check out how much they are here for comparison, they may be more expensive but at least here I'd get service should it go wrong, hmm taking train ticket into account it might even be cheaper :)

Did the rounds today and ended up with the Ricoh kit, went for it as it was a bit smaller than the Canon and has the option to fit a shorter lens.

Price wise it wasn't much cheaper than the UK, kit with spare battery, 4 gig extreme 3 card and case ended up at £300, the G9 seemed to have better deals, best price I found worked out at about £220.

Did the rounds today and ended up with the Ricoh kit, went for it as it was a bit smaller than the Canon and has the option to fit a shorter lens.

Price wise it wasn't much cheaper than the UK, kit with spare battery, 4 gig extreme 3 card and case ended up at £300, the G9 seemed to have better deals, best price I found worked out at about £220.
£220 is really good. It's £329 in Jessops and £299 in Whorehouse Express. Excellent.

Back