Compact Flash card - failure

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
No
Hello all,
I've just taken about thirty images, plugged the Kingston 16gig CF card into the Mac via a reader and it doesn't recognise the card. Put the card back in the camera and the camera doesn't recognise it either.
Is there any easy way (I'm an IT numpty) to recover the data?
Regards, Mike.

tricky if the card isnt being seen, and extra tricky on a mac as theres limited software out there ( unless you dont mind paying through the nose ) but in reality if the card isnt being seen then its highly likely only way would be professional data recovery services.

I think this is free software:
http://www.easeus.com/mac/mac-photo-recovery-free/
Many file recovery apps have trial version which will at least show if there are files there to recover.
You don't say if this is a new card or one that usually has been OK.

Last edited:
have you tried a different MAC. im going through exact same issue on pc. my 32gb transcend card which has worked faultlessly for past 2 years suddenly decided to not be seen any more. all my other cards are fine. yet when i put the card in the wifes laptop it pops up straight away and works fine. ive even tried it on mine in two different usb card readers but not a thing shows.. bugs the heck outa me but can only guess its something to do with USB/ card reader drivers but having tried most avenues to fix it ive thrown my lot in and gave it to the OH for her camera ( oh it works fine in camera too , which seems to be different from yours.
last resort is try ubuntu live as theres some rather good free data recovery / disk management tools and linux may pick it up where OSX ( or windows ) wont.

Have you tried using Disk Utility to see if it can see the card? If other computers don't see the card then you might need a recovery company. If it's any help I had a similar problem three years ago .I used DataWreck in Stoke on Trent. Cost me £99 for a recovery,of a CF card. Got 214 of 218 RAW images back. Worth it, cheaper than a re shoot. Card was completely screwed.

No Joy with trying the card in different computers, I've sent the card off and we'll see what the damage is. £99 seem to be roughly what I'm looking at.
This is my second loss of data this year, I paid just under £500 recently to have a knackered external hard drive recovered and replaced. Ironically I had about 90% of it backed up. It was an expensive lesson!

Last edited:
Back